Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP Pavillion DV4-1225DX issues / fix thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

HP Pavillion DV4-1225DX issues / fix thread

It took 2 weeks to install Ubuntu Intrepid to my liking on my HP laptop, and I know theres a few more 1225 DX users out there suffering from the same issues so heres my issue, fix, and, compatibility report.

If you have the same laptop, and have your own suggestions or issues feel free to reply.

Default specs (mostly stolen from best buy )

HP Pavilion DV4-1225DX
    • AMD Turion™ X2 RM-72 Dual-Core Mobile Processor
    • 4GB DDR2 memory
    • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support and lightscribe
    • 14.1" WXGA high-definition widescreen display
    • 250GB SATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    • ATI RADEON HD 3200 graphics RS780M (shared memory, HDMI output)
    • 5-in-1 digital media reader
    • Expansion port 3 (nobody actually uses this thing)
    • 2 USB 2.0 ports + 1 USB/ESATA port
    • built in (802.11b/g BCM4312 rev 01 chipset)
    • Default OS Vista Home Premium 64bit

Ubuntu install notes.
    • A bios update is available. If your going to overwrite vista you should probably install this first. (it's not life or death, but might help somebody)
    • Gparted refused to resize my windows partition, when I installed with an 8.04 live cd. (I updated immediately to intrepid after install). If you have this issue and want to dual boot you may need to shrink the vista partition within windows using disc manager.

Known Issues after install.
    • No sound except out of headphones. (no sound through internal speakers)

lspci -v output (for anyone that cares)

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
      Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30fb
      Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
      Memory at d2500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
      Capabilities: <access denied>
      FIX: add the line
      Code:
      options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1
      to the file
      /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
      *This fix works, but seems to have issues with sound quality and volume control. If someone stumbles upon a better solution let me know. It took over 1/2 a week for me to find this fix so I'm just happy that there is one.
    • Keyboard and touch pad lock up on return from suspend and hibernate.
      Fix: add
      Code:
       i8042.reset
      to the end of the kernel line in grub. You can also add it to the default options line if you want it automaticly added whenever grub is updated to a new kernel if you like.
      example of updated Kernal line (in case your not clear)
      Code:
      kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=88b99fce-0f2b-421d-9071-5974649671ce ro quiet splash i8042.reset
      *this fixes the listed problem, but there seems to be another more intermittent issue with returning from hibernate, but as long as I have suspend I don't care.
    • Many 3d games output pure junk to the screen when using the restricted driver.
      This only seems to effect openGL games like Open Arena, Alien Arena, and Warzone 2100
      Fix: Radeon HD 3200 has documented issues with the ATI driver version used by Intrepid. The only solution is to compile and install the newest catalyst drivers (if you dare)
      click here for instructions on how to compile the ATI drivers for ubuntu
      *This hardware also has known issues with mythbuntu, but i don't use that software so I don't know if this will fix it.
    • Kernel panics aka system lockup immediately upon connecting to certain encrypted networks.
      This affects my university's WPA-2 enterprise network(PEAP, MSCHAPV2). This is a part of a larger issue with Ubuntu 8.10 and network manager, downgrading or upgrading network manager MIGHT fix this, but only intrepid seems to have CDMA (cricket wireless internet) support so neither are an option for me.

Credits: (sites I found these fixes on)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HP Pavillion DV4-1225DX issues / fix thread

Dude thanks! a bunch i have a month looking for a solution work great with my dv4-1220 tks!

Beans

There is a fix, albeit incomplete for your speaker sound issue. See:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...light=jstalnak

When I implemented this, my internal speakers now work, but the headphone jack no longer works and the maximum volume seems to me a bit low. But the speakers do work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

New issue and I think it's related to those lousy broadcom drivers again. Sometimes network manager seems to crash looooooong after returning from suspend (like 6 hrs later this time), but it only seems to happen when i use suspend. Well It's more of an annoyance than an issue since I can always restart it in the terminal with sudo NetworkManager .

Beans
    Distro

Hei guys,

ryofire i got the exact laptop from bestbuy but my sound issue is not resolved though.

Your solution, gives me sound through internal speakers but doesn't respond to headphone jack being plugged in, it will keep playing via internal speakers. (model=dell-m4-1).

Then i tried model=hp-dv5, this gives me sound on headphones but not through internal speakers. Just to note, to begin with, i had no sound at all. Under device control i have HDA ATI SB (alsa mixer).

any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm as perplexed as you are. Make sure you get the same results as I do when you type
    Code:
    lspci -v
    in the terminal.

If your still having problems you can try popping in the 9.04 livecd. I'm not sugesting you install an alpha release, but if it works off the livecd you know an upgrade after next month is in order.

Beans

The following steps will enable sound on the internal speakers for the HP dv4-1225dx

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Add the following lines:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1

perform sudo reboot after saving your changes

Thank you, NaplesBill, for your posting on this fix!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I can confirm that NaplesBill's/CrazyMochi's fix works the same as the one I've already listed.

Also I was reading bugfixes online, and it looks like the kernel panic on issue with BCM4312 has been fixed with a new broadcom patch. The fix has been applied to Ubuntu restricted extras for Jaunty and Hardy. No update for Intrepid yet, but the priority for the issue is high and the fix is already known so I can only hope that the fix will be here soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've been having serious issues with the media (quicklaunch, quickplay whatever) buttons on my laptop ever since the middle of a game of a game of wesnoth yesterday. This isn't a Linux issue since I'm having the same problem in windows.

Hp's reaction is to fool around with windows when this is obviously a bios or a hardware issue. Well forget them then I'll buy from one of the many other wonderful vendors out there next time i need a laptop.

But for now my laptops volume keeps changing costantly and my media buttons don't work at all.

Beans
    Distro

dell-m4-1 will fix the internal speaker, though the internal mic will not function. on the other hand, with hp-dv5, the internal speaker will not function but headphones and internal mic will. so depends on what you need more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast