Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Intel Ethernet Card not recognized

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Intel Ethernet Card not recognized

ok well we did get further. Try to unplug your ethernet cable for 20 seconds, then plug it back in. wait 15 seconds then do another ifconfig -a
    the driver sould have fixed a problem about unplugging and replugging the cable..
    I take it you did not see e1000e in the blacklist.
    Last edited by rreese6; September 27th, 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rreese6 View Post
    Do you have instant messenger (AIM or Pidgin)
    If you do lets take this live to work it faster.
    my user name is **

ok well we did get further. Try to unplug your ethernet cable for 20 seconds, then plug it back in. wait 15 seconds then do another ifconfig -a
    the driver sould have fixed a problem about unplugging and replugging the cable..
    I take it you did not see e1000e in the blacklist.
    i dont have any form of IM...i have a google and MSN account but dont have any clients downloaded...do u have MSN or google talk (or iChat)
    Last edited by Flux45; September 27th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I will get on to MSN then we will post the solution here later
    Last edited by rreese6; September 27th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.

Beans

im online...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This problem was not being solved by all the normal methods because the e1000e driver kept failing during boot up.

Machine is running Ubuntu 9.04, fully updated.

The Device on this machine (from lspci command) showed:
    Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

The output from
    Code:
    dmesg |tail -n20
    showed us that the driver was aborting during boot up
    with a "NVM Checksum" error

Because the Driver was failing, it would not assign a MAC or IP address.

The Interface worked in Windows Vista because Vista does not check the NVM Checksum.

We knew the interface worked...but the NVM (EEPROM) had corrupted data. No other Linux with an earlier Kernel had ever been loaded on this machine. Current Kernel is 2.6.28-11-generic.

We downloaded the latest driver file from Intel: e1000e-1.0.2.5.tar.gz
    to the user's desktop then moved it to /usr/local/src.
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    sudo mv e1000e-1.0.2.5.tar.gz /usr/local/src
    Extracted it and changed to the src directory inside the new drive directory (e1000e-1.0.2.5).
    Code:
    sudo tar zvh e1000e-1.0.2.5.tar.gz
    cd e100e-1.0.2.5/src
    We followed the readme file and did the "sudo make install" removed the old driver (sudo rmmod e100e), and loaded the new one (modprobe e1001e). Rebooted the machine...and and.....
    Nothing, the same error in the Dmesg list.

I decided it was time to hack somethng, but what?

THE WORK-AROUND:

I found a file in the /usr/local/src/e1000e-1.0.2.5/src directory called netdev.c
    I opened it with
    Code:
    sudo gedit netdev.c
    and searched (CRTL F in gedit) for "NVM Checksum".
    Once I found where NVM Checksum was I deleted two lines of code and saved the file. The code looked like this when i found it:
    Code:
    if (i == 2) {
    	e_err("The NVM Checksum Is Not Valid\n");
            err = -EIO;
            goto err_eeprom;
          }
    I changed to code by removing two lines and add "break;in their place:
    Code:
    if (i == 2) {
    	e_err("The NVM Checksum Is Not Valid\n");
          break;
          }
    Saved the file then ran make clean and make install:
    Code:
    sudo make clean
    sudo make install
    Then we changed to the /etc directory and created modprobe.conf
    Code:
    cd /etc
    sudo nano modprobe.conf
    once in nano we added this line:
    Code:
    alias eth0 e1000e
    then used CTRL X to exit, Y to save and ENTER

Next:
    Removed the old module and installed the new one:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod e1000e
    sudo modprobe e1000e
    The ethernet came up and was working. we checked the HWaddr (MAC) with ifconfig -a and it was the same as windows had seen.

It was working, however after a reboot, it did not work and a new error showed up in the dmesg output.
    ......I had read some about the error we saw, but decided the do the rmmod and modeprobe again and the ethernet came up and worked.

LAST ITEM
    At this point we decided it was time just to write a script and have it run during boot up. Basically removing the module and reinserting it.
    (I know it's not clean, but it is working)
    Created a script:
    Code:
    cd /etc/init.d
    sudo nano eth_start
    and added the following to it.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash 
    rmmod e1000e && modprobe e1000e
    CTRL X to exit, Y to save and ENTER.
    Back at the prompt we added it to the bootup
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d eth_start
    sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/eth_start
    Now every time the machine boots up, the module is unloaded and reloaded...but the main point is that the ethernet is working, at least in our case.
    This did not really cause us any more problems, since the error with the NVM Checksum seemed to have come this way on the new Motherboard.
    A very strange problem.. I guess we could have redone the checksum and such, but that would have taken more time and best left to the real experts of Linux.

We could not find much about the model(82573L) but we did see that many people were hard at work fixing the bugs since they started in the 2.6.27-rc1 Kernel. Their work and notes helped us understand the issue much better...
    Kudos the the SourceForge Group e1000 and to Intel Engineers for getting involved.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/support

Please PM me or leave a message here if you see any errors or omission
    in this post...it was a long couple of days on this one and I am sure it was a unique problem since this motherboard has never seen Linux before 9.04.
    Last edited by rreese6; September 29th, 2009 at 01:22 AM.

Beans

confirmed SOLVED, was a headache to fix. thanks to rreese6 for is relentless efforts and walking me through the entire process...! writing this from my linux box as we speak!!
    thanks again

Beans

First thanks a lot for finding the solution for this problem. I just installed in a thinkpad T60 laptop ubuntu 9.04 and had exactly the same problem. Your solution fixed it in the same way as you described.
    One small thing, when doing:
    $sudo update-rc.d eth_start
    usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove ....

That is, it seems to need to have expecified start|stop or defaults to add the script.
    I just run it with defaults assuming that is correct and at least after the first restart it worked.
    Im also quite new to this. But one think I noticed is that before adding this script to the init, lsmod was showing the old driver (at least the old size, around 120.000) after the restart, while after taking out the module and installing the new one it was showing a size of 140716 for it.
    So just the old module is loaded after each restart, and the eth_start script is unloading it and loading the new one.
    Just in case someone knows how to override the module that is initially loaded, instead of reloading after the replacement.

Anyway, just for the record, in my case the Intel driver version I downloaded was the 1.0.15.

Beans

Is compiling the driver from intel completely necessary? Can these steps work if the driver included in the latest ubuntu kernel is used instead?

Thanks. I have this problem, been upgrading from release to release from hardy heron since yesterday... and i'd like to skip some steps if I can...

Beans

That was a dumb question. Yes, of course the source code is necessary in order to change the source code....

I just ran through the steps and they work! (actually I'm about to reboot & make sure, but right now my gigabit is working...)
    This was referred to as a hack, but actually it seems to be EXACTLY what the windows driver for this card does. Windows doesn't care... I'm probably missing something but for most users, Linux doesn't have to care either.

Anyway, until the driver is repaired to where it can fix the NVM checksum that it so badly cares about, I recommend that this gets included in the e1000e driver that ships with all ubuntu kernels as soon as possible. I first hit this problem in late 2007 with Gutsy Gibbon. If I new C better, maybe I could have fixed it, but I seriously doubted my skills at the time. There have to be many others facing this issue. I'm shocked canonical staff haven't hit this, since the T60 laptop (which has this chip) is soo commmon in the work place... Usually thinkpads work pretty well with linux distros due to the paid staff usually have them & fix those problems first.

Thanks so much! I now have gigabit after going 2 years with out...

Beans

Angry Re: Intel Ethernet Card not recognized

I face the same problem.
    tried all these above, it still does not work. when I reboot my computer, and exe 'rmmod e1000e', it tell me 'there is no module named e1000e'. what is the reason? I am so confused. Appreciate your suggestions.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast