Thread: How to map Super_L key to the Application Launcher

Beans

How to map Super_L key to the Application Launcher

Hi,

Just installed NBR 9.10 on my Eee PC 901 (replacing the original Xandros) and am absolutely delighted with it. One small annoyance, however, is that I haven't managed to map the home/Win key to take me straight to the Application Launcher. This is what it did on Xandros and I also had this working when I previously tried NBR 9.04 from a USB stick. I'm talking about the key that is between "Fn" and "Alt" and has a picture of a house on it; on Windows versions of this machine it has the Windows logo.

When I try to assign this key in "Keyboard Shortcuts", it isn't recognised at all - nothing at all happens when I press it. I can assign other keys just fine.

I've run xev and confirmed that this key is detected, with keycode 133 and is mapped to Super_L. xmodmap -pk also shows keycode 133 mapped to Super_L.

Any ideas?

Even once I've solved this, I'm not sure what I should be mapping this key to in Keyboard Shortcuts.

Any help with this would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks

Alan

Beans

Re: How to map Super_L key to the Application Launcher

Ok - I've found the answer to my question...

I'd already found this page, which showed how to map this key to bring up the Application menu but I still didn't know how to change the mapping to the Application Launcher. Anyway, I found gconf-editor and after browsing in there, I found the answer. You can change it in there but the following command (adapted from the link above), has the desired effect:

gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/show_desktop --type string "Super_L"

My "home" key now flips nicely to the application launcher and back, just as I wanted.

Hope that helps someone else.

Alan

Beans

Re: How to map Super_L key to the Application Launcher

How does that work for you with Compiz? on an Acer Aspire One I find that the Win/Home/Super-L key+Alt does app switching. If I set this key using gconftool, I find that it gets a bit confused.