Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can't get eGalax Touchscreen to work.

Beans

Re: Can't get eGalax Touchscreen to work.

Quote Originally Posted by tsg View Post
    Hi wow after a year still responses. Thank you.
    Thank you! I hit this same problem yesterday, and managed to find this thread. Problem solved - my Touchscreen now works thanks to various tips and info I found here.

One minor problem I'm hitting: Drag operations don't seem to work. Normal mode doesn't click at all, but the cursor tracks correctly. Click on touch mode works, but the cursor is pinned to the spot that I touched if I try to drag it. Are other folks seeing the same behavior?

I will be using it to run a CNC milling machine, so I won't need to do drags very often, but sliders and scroll bars don't really work well without that. Anybody have a patch or config change to try that can enable drags?

Thanks,
    - Dean

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I just bought this touchscreen for my EeePC, after a while messing about and the touchscreen not working I finally managed to get it to work using the beta driver on this page http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eGalax...inuxDriver.htm by just running the script in the archive, worked perfectly after reboot, except it wasnt calibrated, so i ran eGalaxTouch (a program which installed itself with the script) and calibrated it from there, now it's working great! Tho I do find it needs too much pressure to respond. I'm running Karmic btw. Anyone know how to change the pressure sensitivity?
    Join giffgaff, the mobile network run by you! Click here for free sim with £5 credit http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/matthewbpt
    Get a dropbox account! http://db.tt/6pxH9mf

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kekezu View Post
    Hello all,

I also had big problems to get working eGalax USB Touch Screen (0eef:0001) on Ubuntu. Here is a solution how I get it working.

I used a fresh install of 32-bit Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) with all updates. I suppose that this also works on older versions of Ubuntu.

I followed touch screen manual instructions, tips found from this topic and instructions wrote here
    http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/EGalax_Touchscreen
    and made a few changes.

First problem was that I had very old version of utility which has no support for the newest versions of X. From here I found the newest stable version 2.06.2905
    http://www.tvielectronics.com/Touch_...Downloads.html
    There is also beta version 2.07.3122

First I tried with inbuilt HID kernel module and inbuilt USB kernel module without success. So I try to build TouchKit module.

I had two problems building module tkusb. First problem was that file Module.symvers was missing. Locating this file and copying it to linux source folder fixed the problem. Second problem was that file semaphore.h was missing. Modifying file tkusb.h fixed this problem.

Then I had a problem to load module tkusb during system startup. I try to modify file /etc/rc.local as mentioned on the instructions with no success. So I made a boot-up script addTouchKit which loads the module and put the script to folder /etc/init.d. Now the module will be loaded on startup.

Last problem was kernel module usbhid. Touch panel used this module by default even if tkusb module was loaded. I fixed this by removing module usbhid.ko for a while during boot-up so panel got time to recognize tkusb module. I made changes to the script addTouchKit.

It took almost one week to get the touch screen working but it was worth-while.

Here are detailed instructions step by step:

1) Getting required packages and TouchKit utility
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-source
    cd ~
    wget http://shop-on-line.tvielectronics.com/download/TouchKit-2.06.2905-32b-k26.tar.gz
    2) Installing utility
    Code:
    sudo chmod -x TouchKit-2.06.2905-32b-k26.tar.gz
    sudo tar -xzvf TouchKit-2.06.2905-32b-k26.tar.gz
    cd eGalaxTouch32
    sudo sh setup.sh
    Utility will be installed to /usr/local/eGalaxTouch32/

3) Building the tkusb module

Code:
    cd /usr/src
    uname -r  # Checks linux kernel version
    sudo chmod -x linux-source-2.6.xx.tar.bz2  # Change xx 
    sudo tar -xjvf linux-source-2.6.xx.tar.bz2    
    sudo cp ./linux-headers-`uname -r`/Module.symvers ./linux-source-2.6.xx      
    sudo ln -s linux-source-2.6.xx /usr/src/linux
    cd /usr/src/linux
    sudo make oldconfig
    sudo make prepare
    sudo make modules SUBDIRS=scripts/mod/
    cd /usr/local/eGalaxTouch32/USBSrc
    sudo gedit Makefile
    Around line 16, find
    Code:
    KDIR := /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build
    Replace this line with
    Code:
    KDIR := /usr/src/linux
    Code:
    sudo gedit tkusb.h
    Around line 25, find
    Code:
    include <ams/semaphore.h>
    Replace this line with
    Code:
    include <linux/semaphore.h>
    Code:
    sudo make all
    sudo cp tkusb.ko /lib/modules
    4) Modifying file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Change Option "Device" to "/dev/tkpanel0" in InputDevice section of touch screen

Part of the file xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section InputDevice
            Identifier "EETI"
            Option    "Device"    "/dev/tkpanel0"  
     EndSection
    5) Making startup script to load the module

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/addTouchKit
    Content of file addTouchKit
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    rmmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/tkusb.ko
    sleep 1  
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/hid/usbhid/usbhid.ko
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d addTouchKit defaults
    sudo chmod 441 /etc/init.d/addTouchKit
    Now panel is installed. Reboot your computer.

6) Starting utility and calibrating the panel

Code:
    cd /usr/local/eGalaxTouch32 && ./eGalaxTouch
    Kekezu thank you very much, I followed the steps you wrote and it worked great, I have Ubuntu 9.04 and the Touchscreen is a Hanasis HS-M01T.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ReeceWeb View Post
    Thank you! I hit this same problem yesterday, and managed to find this thread. Problem solved - my Touchscreen now works thanks to various tips and info I found here.

One minor problem I'm hitting: Drag operations don't seem to work. Normal mode doesn't click at all, but the cursor tracks correctly. Click on touch mode works, but the cursor is pinned to the spot that I touched if I try to drag it. Are other folks seeing the same behavior?
    Anybody have a patch or config change to try that can enable drags?

Thanks,
    - Dean
    same problem here. cant drag.

I have a aa1 plus egalax touchscreen

thx.

Beans

I haven't been able to resolve this - If I select "click on touch" or "click on release", the touch events happen in the one spot that the touch or release happened. This is as expected and no drag operation is possible in these modes.

In "normal" mode, it is supposed to register a click on touch and register a release when untouched. However, it does not. It never registers a mouse down at all in normal mode. The cursor tracks under the finger, but it just won't click.

I know this can work, because it works in the drawing utility, and it works under Windows and Mac OS X. It just seems to be a problem with my Ubuntu configuration as far as I can tell.

I will be using it to run a CNC milling machine, so I won't need to do drags very often, but sliders and scroll bars don't really work well without that.
    Fortunately, somebody is working on a touch-screen-specific skin for EMC2, so for my particular application, I won't need drag events. (forum post here). I'd still love to figure it out, but it isn't as important as the other million things I need to get done

Cheers,
    - Dean

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Are you running the latest BETA from the website in my last post?(http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eGalax...inuxDriver.htm then run 'sudo -s sh setup.sh' from the extracted archive) That one works perfectly for me. A warning for those in Karmic tho, on a fresh install there's no xorg.conf file, but the installed fails to install the drive without a xorg.conf file present. Create a dummy file before you run the installer, here's mine without the touchscreen info as a guide,

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    #	SubSection "Display"
    #		Virtual	2048 771
    #	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    The installer then adds it's own configuration to the xorg file, this is what it added to mine:

Code:
    ### Touch Configuration Beginning ###
    Section "ServerLayout"
            Identifier "Default Layout"
    	Screen	"Default Screen"
            InputDevice "EETI" "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "EETI"
            Driver "egalax"
            Option "Device" "usbauto"
            Option "Parameters" "/var/lib/eeti.param"
            Option "ScreenNo" "0"
    EndSection
    ### Touch Configuration End ###
    Join giffgaff, the mobile network run by you! Click here for free sim with £5 credit http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/matthewbpt
    Get a dropbox account! http://db.tt/6pxH9mf

This last post on the xorg.conf and the egalax driver was very helpful. Thank you!

Unfortunately, like the posters above I'm still stuck with not being able to use "normal" mode with drag, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting that to work?

Note: I've also tried evtouch but no matter what I do the x-axis is always inverted. From what I've read this appears to be a problem in Karmic...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

would someone be so kind as to share (ie upload somewhere) their tkusb module and kindly let me know what kernel it was built against? I'm trying to get it built on a different distro (Arch) and simply cannot fu#%ing do it. I'd really appreciate it,

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnross@johnross.com View Post
    This last post on the xorg.conf and the egalax driver was very helpful. Thank you!

Unfortunately, like the posters above I'm still stuck with not being able to use "normal" mode with drag, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting that to work?

Note: I've also tried evtouch but no matter what I do the x-axis is always inverted. From what I've read this appears to be a problem in Karmic...
    So, by trial and error, I discovered that if I change

Option "HidOnEPC" "1"

to

Option "HidOnEPC" "0"

in xorg.conf that I can now do drag, right click, etc. with "normal" mode set in eGalaxTouch. I don't understand this since I'm using eee pc 901, but it works and I'm happy!

Hope this helps someone!
    Last edited by johnross@johnross.com; December 22nd, 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

i have the same problem as the others, no drag in normal mode.
    running jolicloud (ubuntu 9.04).
    tried to add the HidOnEpc to both 0 and, but it didn't help.
    could you post your xorg.conf?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast