Page 95 of 169 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

I cant map it to /dev/input/n-trig because I dont have 90-n-trig.rules
    Can I map it to an event instead? Thats going to be hard if I do
    though. Everytime I reboot I get a different response when using
    sudo xxd /dev/input/eventx

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman44 View Post
    You can use the event number also. It might be better for you to look up the /dev/input/by-path name that is linked to that event. If I recall correctly, that should not change and should always point to the correct event number. For those who don't know what I am talking about, here is the result of my /dev/input/by-path:
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/input/by-path

total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Apr 23 15:52 pci-0000:00:13.2-usb-0:2:1.0-event -> ../event8
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Apr 23 15:52 pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-event -> ../event10
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Apr 23 15:52 pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-event-mouse -> ../event9
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Apr 23 15:52 pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-mouse -> ../mouse1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Apr 23 15:52 platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd -> ../event1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Apr 23 15:52 platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse -> ../event2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Apr 23 15:52 platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse -> ../mouse0
    My stylus is currently assigned to /dev/input/event9. From above, my path would be /dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-event-mouse. My xorg.conf entry would look like:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "stylus"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-event-mouse"
        Option      "ButtonMapping" "1 3"
    EndSection

Beans
    Distro

Install input-utils and try using lsinput instead of hexdumping the event nodes to find out which are active.

Any particular reason you're not using udev rules?

So the lucid release is in less than a week. I'd say burn beta2 and try it in live cd mode, but you might as well just wait the week and try the release image. You should have reasonable ntrig support on first boot (including right clicking with the stylus).

Beans
    Distro

Ive been using beta 2 for a while now, and the reason Im not using udev rules is because I keep hoping that an update will eventualy have it working. And theres been about 100 meg's a day worth of updates. You would think one of those would fix it.
    Thanks Ayuthia, dont know why I didnt think of that.

Beans
    Distro

Ive been using beta 2 for a while now, and the reason Im not using udev rules is because I keep hoping that an update will eventualy have it working. And theres been about 100 meg's a day worth of updates. You would think one of those would fix it.
    Thanks Ayuthia, dont know why I didnt think of that.
    My bad, b2 is assigning evdev to the Pen. Though I'm not quite sure which of the auto config files is responsible.

To fix, edit /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-wacom.conf and change the N-Trig block
    Code:
    # N-Trig Duosense Electromagnetic Digitizer
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Wacom N-Trig class"
            MatchProduct "HID 1b96:0001|N-Trig Pen"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
            Driver "wacom"
            Option "Button2" "3"
    EndSection
    The MatchProduct line will make it actually match, and just the pen. The Button line will get you right click instead of middle for the barrel switch. I would play with the erasers as middle click, but that seems to confuse gimp (I personally use gestures to toggle between drawing and a more mousy mode).

Note: 10-wacom.conf was moved to 20-wacom.conf and then 50-wacom.conf
    Last edited by rafiyr; May 3rd, 2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Should match both new and old names for backwards compatability.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

They changed it to 20-wacom.conf to allow more space for distro mods and now they are talking of changing it to 50-wacom.conf. So right now, with the changes, the file reads:
    +Section "InputClass"
    > + Identifier "Wacom class"
    > +# WALTOP needs a patched kernel driver, that isn't in mainline lk yet,
    > +# so for now just let it fall through and be picked up by evdev instead.
    > +# MatchProduct "Wacom|WALTOP|WACOM"
    > + MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM"
    > + MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    > + Driver "wacom"
    > +EndSection
    > +
    > +Section "InputClass"
    > + Identifier "Wacom serial class"
    > + MatchProduct "Serial Wacom Tablet"
    > + Driver "wacom"
    > + Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4"
    > +EndSection
    > +
    > +# N-Trig Duosense Electromagnetic Digitizer
    > +Section "InputClass"
    > + Identifier "Wacom N-Trig class"
    > + MatchProduct "HID 1b96:0001"
    > + MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    > + Driver "wacom"
    > +EndSection
    From: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...nuxwacom-devel

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rafiyr View Post
    My bad, b2 is assigning evdev to the Pen. Though I'm not quite sure which of the auto config files is responsible.

To fix, edit /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-wacom.conf and change the N-Trig block
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "Wacom N-Trig class"
            MatchProduct "N-Trig Pen"
            Driver "wacom"
            Option "Button2" "3"
    EndSection
    The MatchProduct line will make it actually match, and just the pen. The Button line will get you right click instead of middle for the barrel switch. I would play with the erasers as middle click, but that seems to confuse gimp (I personally use gestures to toggle between drawing and a more mousy mode).
    I ended up having to use the following:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "N-Trig-Pen"
            Driver "wacom"
            MatchIsTablet "on"
    	Option "Type" "stylus"
            Option "Button2" "3"
    EndSection
    For some reason it did not match up on the "N-Trig Pen".

For those who still like the "stylus" and "touch" names, you can still configure them using xorg.conf.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    I ended up having to use the following:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "N-Trig-Pen"
            Driver "wacom"
            MatchIsTablet "on"
        Option "Type" "stylus"
            Option "Button2" "3"
    EndSection
    For some reason it did not match up on the "N-Trig Pen".

For those who still like the "stylus" and "touch" names, you can still configure them using xorg.conf.
    Does that block actually result in the creation of both stylus and eraser inputs? Also, please check lsinput to see why the MatchProduct failed (though perhaps I'm missing something).

Beans
    Distro

Does that block actually result in the creation of both stylus and eraser inputs? Also, please check lsinput to see why the MatchProduct failed (though perhaps I'm missing something).
    I must have had N-Trig Pen misspelled in previous tries because it is now working. As for the creation of eraser input, I am not for sure. The HP stylus does not come with an eraser. We are not allowed to make mistakes.

Beans
    Distro

I apparently was not looking closely enough the first time around. The one that I posted only worked for the stylus. It did not create the eraser. I am currently using yours and I can see that there is an eraser entry along with the stylus.

Page 95 of 169 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast