View Poll Results: Share with us your Noble Numbat upgrade/Installation Experience

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - Worked Flawlessly.

4 19.05%
  • Upgrade - Worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though..

4 19.05%
  • Upgrade - Had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

0 0%
  • Install - Worked flawlessly

9 42.86%
  • Install - Worked but had a few things to fix.

4 19.05%
  • Install - Had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

2 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Noble Numbat installation/Upgrade Experience

Beans

Re: Share with us your Noble Numbat installation/Upgrade Experience

On The Poll Results

I think the terminology in the poll needs clarification. The first three choices are for an "Upgrade". The last three are for an "Install".

"Install" would be used with New (Fresh) Installs.
    "Upgrade" is intended to be used if you used an upgrade tool like Software Updater. This can't be done yet (as of May 11), so there should be no votes here.

Better descriptions are needed.

Does that make sense?

In a way, new installs are 'upgrades' to what they had before. A few people apparently were thinking this way and voted under upgrade.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    On The Poll Results

I think the terminology in the poll needs clarification. The first three choices are for an "Upgrade". The last three are for an "Install".

"Install" would be used with New (Fresh) Installs.
    "Upgrade" is intended to be used if you used an upgrade tool like Software Updater. This can't be done yet (as of May 11), so there should be no votes here.

Better descriptions are needed.

Does that make sense?

In a way, new installs are 'upgrades' to what they had before. A few people apparently were thinking this way and voted under upgrade.
    +1
    Code:
    Upgrade - Worked Flawlessly.
    1	9.09%

Upgrade - Worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though..
    2	18.18%

Upgrade - Had many problems that I've not been able to solve.
    0	0%

Install - Worked flawlessly
    4	36.36%

Install - Worked but had a few things to fix.
    4	36.36%

Install - Had many problems that I have not been able to solve.
    Unless they meant a dirty-install-upgrade>>>Clarity is needed to be acurate
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

I include "upgrade" as meaning "changed the repo manually and then ran apt full-upgrade", but then, that's just me.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I include "upgrade" as meaning "changed the repo manually and then ran apt full-upgrade", but then, that's just me.
    +1 Me as well , and also a clean install on a different drive.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

I wanted to swap hard disks between my Windows and Ubuntu, sending windows to the slower HDD and decided to install Noble Numbat while I was at it. This was a fresh new install from a USB drive. The install went quickly and without issue. I can't really compare speeds because I went from Ubuntu 22.04 installed on an older HDD to 24.04 on a newer SSD. It's super fast now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

There's been a few comments about the manual partitioning not working, at least I think that's what people mean.
    Maybe this is a problem only if using LVM or ZFS.

Using ext4 I can confirm it is still easy to use manual partitioning reusing an existing /home partition without formatting and creating a new root partition.

I admit I have never used anything other than ext partitions, including ext2 ànd ext3; yes I've been using Ubuntu, now Xubuntu, for that long!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    There's been a few comments about the manual partitioning not working, at least I think that's what people mean.
    Nice Catch ajgreeny, that is hitting it right on the head. I need to slow down a bit and include important details.

My grumpy old man syndrome is compulsive at times....
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I admit I have never used anything other than ext partitions, including ext2 ànd ext3; yes I've been using Ubuntu, now Xubuntu, for that long!
    I can't imagine doing a system install that doesn't include a volume manager for added flexibility and capabilities. BTW, I remember when ext2 was new. For a long time, I used JFS so my file systems would be journaled. I started using LVM around 2001 after using similar Veritas tools (VM and FS) at work on UNIX systems. Once you get used to the flexibility that a proper volume manager provides, you'll never want to go back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Using ext4 I can confirm it is still easy to use manual partitioning reusing an existing /home partition without formatting and creating a new root partition.

ext4, manual partitioning, format , install all root "/". Never fails me... I'm as uncomplicated as my looks.

Beans

First time I installing Linux in roughly 30 years... Full transition from Win11pro... Smooth install, ZFS option selected. Out of the box, I didn't have any hardware or driver issues.

~ System info: Minisforum HX90, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, 32GB RAM, 1TB M.2 NVMe, 2x 1TB SSD.

I installed from a Vintoy usb drive with the 24-04 ubuntu desktop iso to my boot M.2 drive.

For Windows users, I believe the instructions for making a Vintoy usb drive and adding ISOs is more straight forward, or easier, to understand. Possibly worth inclusion to the documentation?

Things I encountered, but have not yet researched:
    - Even though I selected a full HD install, there is a grub partition. I suspect that I should have removed previous windows partitions before installing ubuntu, on my to resolve list for today.
    - Not sure how to install software via GUI. I was able to identify programs from the snapstore website and follow their CLI instillation directions.

I'm sure there are things that I don't know I'm missing, but so far, loving the experience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast