Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Post your EDGY sources.list

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Re: Post your EDGY sources.list

There is a discussion of this problem right on Treviño's page, if you scroll down in the comments, starting with comment number 139.

Basically, the problem files are kubuntu-default-settings and possibly kubuntu-artwork-usplash. If you revert these back to version 1:6.10-61 the ominous messages should disappear.

However, it troubles me (as it apparently does some commenters) that someone would do something like this in an attempt to keep Ubuntu users in a "walled garden." This "helpful warning" could be seen by some as an attempt to start a Ubuntu "cult", where you're not allowed to seek out any information or software from outside the "cult" without fear of repercussion from within.

Whoever came up with these bogus packages needs several good swift kicks in the posterior, IMHO!
    Last edited by Bullwinkle_Moose; November 12th, 2006 at 07:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Post your EDGY sources.list

Iom's repository is the cause to that...

For ubuntu users the packages should be usplash-theme-ubuntu and edgy-wallpapers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, the way that it redid my wallpaper and would not let me change it, was that because it was meant for a different distro, and was installed in such a way that ubuntu's change wallpaper thing was unable to work?

And that whole changing sudoers... whatever did that totally creeped me out. Years ago, I had gotten windows viruses and all, but never had anything happen like that!

Beans
    Hidden!

Moral of the story:

DON'T ADD EVERY REPOSITORY YOU CAN FIND.

ONLY use repositories that you can TRUST.

And especially never trust some repository just because someone else referred to it by listing his apt/sources.list contents.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, if you put it that way, okay then.

Beans

eheh, right said and i'm with you (even if i'm an "untrusted" user), but don't you think that my idea could be of some use with that?! Telling new users to use just the lists in that place?!
    bye

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle_Moose View Post
    There is a discussion of this problem right on Treviño's page, if you scroll down in the comments, starting with comment number 139.

Basically, the problem files are kubuntu-default-settings and possibly kubuntu-artwork-usplash. If you revert these back to version 1:6.10-61 the ominous messages should disappear.

However, it troubles me (as it apparently does some commenters) that someone would do something like this in an attempt to keep Ubuntu users in a "walled garden." This "helpful warning" could be seen by some as an attempt to start a Ubuntu "cult", where you're not allowed to seek out any information or software from outside the "cult" without fear of repercussion from within.

Whoever came up with these bogus packages needs several good swift kicks in the posterior, IMHO!
    You should be thanking him.

The repository in question stored a bunch of expiremental beta nVidia drivers that were crashing a bunch of programs. Trevino just threw the repo in there with all the others and a bunch of idiots copied his list and installed it and a whole bunch of other potentially system-raping packages.

You should not EVER list repositories or install packages if you don't even know what they are. That goes for any operating system.

It's not a "culty walled-garden" or whatever crap; it's unknown software on your computer. Don't install packages or add repositories if you don't have a clue what's in them or why you'd want them. Is it too much to ask that a computer user do a little basic research on the software they're installing on their computer?

Beans

Trevino: why do u have 2 mplayer firefox-plugins; mozilla-mplayer & mplayerplug-in ?

They both dont seem to work anyways.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Don_DiZzLe View Post
    Trevino: why do u have 2 mplayer firefox-plugins; mozilla-mplayer & mplayerplug-in ?

They both dont seem to work anyways.
    Also, the latest update to the non free flash plugin is broke. Don't know why you bothered to update it if it's gonna be broken now.

Beans

I didnt know the mplayer pluging were broken, but flash beta2 works just fine now that it has been fixed in AX2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345