Thread: Broken Packages in Dapper unable to install G++ and dependencies

Beans

Unhappy Broken Packages in Dapper unable to install G++ and dependencies

I'm really new to Ubuntu, and to linux. I've run across a situation that is not a problem yet, but will shortly become one (i think.) In installing one of many things that I have installed in the last week to try and get everything I need up and running on Ubuntu (Dapper) I have at some point broken some packages. G++ (all versiond through G++4) will not install in synaptic. They should already be on the system, however, at some point, while trying to get transcode/ dvd::rip to work properly, they were removed. One of the dependencies is libc6-dev (if I remeber correctly.) The G++ packages will be important for all sorts of thing I'm assuming...

I tried fixing my broken packages, and it fixed 2 of them. However still cant re-install G++

Also, I was wandering if this could have to do with a libc6 backport problem?

I think my problem may be related to dvd decription codecs, because my mencoder is no longer functioning properly.

I'll try to post more technical information tonight from home where I have my terminal infront of me.

Sorry for rambling on, I'm really new at this.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Broken Packages in Dapper unable to install G++ and dependencies

ok.

So, I removed a couple of repositories, and rolled back my libc6 to an earlier version, and aptitude kicked in from there. Then I went over to synaptic, and installed G++ and now it's all cool.

I guess sometimes you just have to solve your own problems.