Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated NAS device

Beans

Dedicated NAS device

I am looking into buying a NAS device like the Buffalo Linkstation or WD My book World Edition. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these devices.

I have looked into putting together a small file server. The main reason why I don't want to build a home server is space and noise. I don't think that I can sleep with the humming of a PC all night.

This may be the more expensive option too. I know the device and gigabit switch and the cables would cost more than using an old computer with a RAID card and a couple hard disks.

So any thoughts or comments?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Dedicated NAS device

I'm not sure about the devices that you're thinking about, but you may want to look at FreeNAS which runs on a FreeBSD version of UNIX if you're under a budget.
    David Toronto
    Technology Initiatives
    Blog: blog.technologyinitiatives.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Intel Atom based passively cooled board/proc combo, and a bunch of drives. Much better solution than a device that only serves files.

Beans

Can anyone recommend software that will act as a network attached storage device?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dtoronto View Post
    I'm not sure about the devices that you're thinking about, but you may want to look at FreeNAS which runs on a FreeBSD version of UNIX if you're under a budget.
    I have looked into FreeNAS but I don't want to have another PC running constantly. And even if i used the shuttle form factor it would still be too big. I was looking for advice on NAS devices like Western Digital's My Book World Edition, or something along those lines. It is basically a pre built hard disk with a NIC and a long power processor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TwiceOver View Post
    Intel Atom based passively cooled board/proc combo, and a bunch of drives. Much better solution than a device that only serves files.
    That would still be a lot bigger than I was hoping. I am going to research passive cooling. It will deal with the noise aspect, so I may just have to sacrifice size.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Henrike Corinna View Post
    Can anyone recommend software that will act as a network attached storage device?
    I don't understand what you are asking. Any OS with the correct software can provide the services of a NAS device. What services are you looking to have? FTP, backups, media sharing?
    Last edited by BDNiner; June 30th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by BDNiner View Post
    That would still be a lot bigger than I was hoping. I am going to research passive cooling. It will deal with the noise aspect, so I may just have to sacrifice size.
    I build these all the time for my clients:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811154091

Totally silent with the Atom 230 or 330 board. Run two 1TB drives and FreeNAS. You can even run the FreeNAS system on an SD card plugged into the IDE slot on the board, then you don't waste any space. These systems only take about 32 watts of power. FreeBSD is an awesome OS and extremely tiny, powerful, and rock solid.

If you want a smaller case yet, Apex makes a case with an external power supply.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    I build these all the time for my clients:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811154091

Totally silent with the Atom 230 or 330 board. Run two 1TB drives and FreeNAS. You can even run the FreeNAS system on an SD card plugged into the IDE slot on the board, then you don't waste any space. These systems only take about 32 watts of power. FreeBSD is an awesome OS and extremely tiny, powerful, and rock solid.

If you want a smaller case yet, Apex makes a case with an external power supply.

-Tim
    How is the noise from the fan on the power supply. In a business I guess the humming is drowned out. Does the device get hot? I will also look at the external power supply case. That seems better, since there should be no noise coming from it at all. FreeBSD seems to get a lot of recommendations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Because FreeBSD IS Unix. It has been around for decades.

There is NO noise from the unit. There is no fan on the CPU, only in the chipset and it's tiny. You absolutely cannot hear it. There is no humming whatsoever. I have these in my house. At 32 watts it does NOT get hot at all, barely warm.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast