Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

This thread is the development thread for the Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch series tablets (0xd1, 0xd2, 0xd3, and 0xd4 devices). 0.8.6-1 was released a while back and that should get your device working in Karmic.

If you are using Lucid, please try the instructions on this post.

We are going to try a different approach on getting the driver installed. To make sure that you have all the development tools:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    sudo apt-get install libhal-dev libxrandr-dev
    sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    Do the following if you are NOT using Karmic:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    If you are using Karmic also include the following:
    Code:
    wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git-repos/ubuntu/linux-2.6/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    sudo cp ./hid-ids.h /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/drivers/hid/hid-ids.h
    We are going to use 0.8.6-1 for testing:
    Option A
    For now I have archived this version because of a recent release so you can download it here.
    Unpack the source:
    Code:
    tar -xvjf linuxwacom-0.8.6-1.tar.bz2
    cd linuxwacom-0.8.6-1
    Compile and install:
    Code:
    make clean
    make distclean
    ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo cp src/2.6.30/wacom.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
    sudo depmod -a
    For those using TwinView" (Thank you, alpharesearch!)
    Code:
    make clean
    make distclean
    ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr --enable-quirk-tablet-rescale
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo cp src/2.6.30/wacom.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
    sudo depmod -a
    Make sure that you also set the Horizontal setting to zero. See the bottom of this post for more info.

To reload the module:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r wacom
    sudo modprobe wacom
    NOTE: The 'make clean' and 'make distclean' will produce an error message if you have not done a ./configure before. This is because the source has never been compiled yet and the Makefiles have not been created yet (the Makefile gets built with the ./configure command). Therefore there is nothing to clean up.

If wacomcpl is not working with your device, please try copying over the file from /usr/local/bin:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/local/bin/wacomcpl /usr/bin
    Thanks portets for that information!

Some helpful xsetwacom commands
    NOTE: It looks like in 0.8.6-1 the device name might be used instead of touch. You will need to check with xsetwacom list to find the actual device name. See post 870 for more detail.
    To find the list of recognized devices:
    Code:
    xsetwacom list
    To set your touch so that it works like a mouse touchpad:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set touch Mode Relative
    To set the resolution of your touch (Example is for the medium sized tablet -- the small is X=480 Y=320):
    Code:
    xsetwacom set touch bottomx 740
    xsetwacom set touch bottomy 500
    To turn the touch on/off:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set touch Touch off
    xsetwacom set touch Touch on
    For the TwinView dual screen to work, this also needs to be added to 10-linuxwacom.fdi:
    Code:
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TwinView" type="string">Horizontal</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.ScreenNo" type="string">0</merge>
    If there are any corrections that need to be made, please let me know.

I am not if there are still some adjustments needed for the .fdi files. Please refer to this post.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; May 11th, 2010 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Updated for Lucid and 0.8.6-1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

Ayuthia, we have discovered that maybe the purge isn't right. At least not for version 0.8.4-3 and Karminc. You may want to update the instructions above?
    EDIT: I will test it with 0.8.5-1 and Karmic now

EDIT: do you want to mention that the line...
    sudo cp src/2.6.28/wacom.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/
    ...is very kernel version specific (i.e. 2.6.28, Jaunty)? I am on Karmic and therefore use 2.8.31 currently.

I am proceeding from here.
    Thx!!

EDIT: yeah again A time saver for patching all the files would be...
    Code:
    for FILE in *.patch; do patch -p1 < $FILE; done
    Last edited by kgingeri; November 10th, 2009 at 05:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kgingeri View Post
    Ayuthia, we have discovered that maybe the purge isn't right. At least not for version 0.8.4-3. You may want to update the instructions above - at least for Karmic?

EDIT: do you want to mention that the line...
    ...is very kernel version specific (i.e. 2.6.28, Jaunty)? I am on Karmic and therefore use 2.8.31 currently.

I am proceeding from here.
    Thx!!
    I am under the impression that 0.8.5-1 does not produce a 2.6.31 directory anymore. If it does, please let me know and I will correct the post.

I went ahead and updated the purge commands. Do we know why it is causing problems? My concern is that we might be missing something in the newer source that is not getting installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Do we know why it is causing problems? My concern is that we might be missing something in the newer source that is not getting installed.
    No I really don't - sorry. Dnprossi discovered it. I'll keep an eye open for any hints.
    I've done some edits to my first response also.

Another thing I discovered is that you cannot do a 'make clean' and 'make distclean' until at least one .configure
    Last edited by kgingeri; November 10th, 2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: name and grammer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Ok got a compile error:
    Code:
    In file included from ./xf86Wacom.h:25,
                     from ./wcmConfig.c:20:
    ./../include/xdrv-config.h:12:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    ./wcmConfig.c:629: error: expected '}' before '{' token
    make[2]: *** [wcmConfig.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/xdrv'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src'
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    Looks like you forgot comma's in the structure assignments starting at line 629.

Beans
    Distro

No I really don't - sorry. Dnprossi discovered it. I'll keep an eye open for any hints.
    I've done some edits to my first response also.

Another thing I discovered is that you cannot do a 'make clean' and 'make distclean' until at least one .configure
    You are correct about the make clean/distclean commands. I have updated the post to mention that. It is one of those things that I run into quite often when I chain the commands together and break out while the system is doing the ./configure (and then run the chain of commands again).

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Oops - another problem...
    Code:
    /media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.c: In function 'wacom_bamboo_pt_irq':
    /media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.c:169: error: 'PATCH' undeclared (first use in this function)
    /media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.c:169: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.c:169: error: for each function it appears in.)
    make[4]: *** [/media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [_module_/media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28'
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src'
    Do you want me to PM these to you instead?

It does appear like I only have a 2.6.28 directory - you are right there.

EDIT: is PATCH suppose to be a pre-compile directive for patch number? got thru make by define PATCH as '#define PATCH 1' in wacom_wac.c
    Last edited by kgingeri; November 10th, 2009 at 05:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Oops - another problem...
    Code:
    /media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.c: In function 'wacom_bamboo_pt_irq':
    /media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.c:169: error: 'PATCH' undeclared (first use in this function)
    /media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.c:169: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.c:169: error: for each function it appears in.)
    make[4]: *** [/media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28/wacom_wac.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [_module_/media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/KGSD-8G/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1/src/2.6.28'
    Do you want me to PM these to you instead?

It does appear like I only have a 2.6.28 directory - you are right there.

EDIT: is PATCH suppose to be a pre-compile directive for patch number? got thru make by define PATCH as '#define PATCH 1' in wacom_wac.c
    Either way is fine. You are correct. The magic number should be 9. I will update the patch tarball.

EDIT: It is now updated and compiled clean -- also had to fix wcmConfig.c (left out a few commas)
    Last edited by Ayuthia; November 10th, 2009 at 06:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Ok Ayuthia, all is working normal - at least stylus and buttons. I will see if eraser is and if I can collect touch data.

BTW another minor correction in post #1...
    The new experimental stuff is that I have added the .fdi and udev rules as a patch. So when the source is installed (in the sudo make install command above) they should automatically go to the correct place. The files are labled as 10-linuxwacom.fdi (It is Favux's modified version--test3) and should go to /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy.
    should be /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/

There is also a 60-wacom.rules file in src/util but it does not look like it is automatically installed (I could be wrong about this) that has the devices listed. You can try to copy that to /lib/udev/rules.d/40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules:
    Code:
    sudo cp src/util/60-wacom.rules /lib/udev/rules.d/40-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules
    This is my observation - yes. The by-path links show up, but no sym-links until you copy in the rules files. The tablet does work with only the by-path, but I still like the more human-readable sym-links.

Oh 3 more things...

1) after copying in the rules file, I unplugged and replugged and no tablet recognition - looks like a reboot? I'll test.

2) I've noticed something interesting about the mouse pointer jumping when you lift the stylus. In the upper left corner the mouse jumps very little (always the same angle BTW), but in the lower right it jumps at least 3 x's further. I've attached a diagram to explain.

3) the mouse and stylus cursor seemed very jittery, more then normal. If I recall, someone else mentioned this in the other thread. I'll see if it is the same after a reboot with the rules file in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

No touch info in dmesg at all.

I can't seem to do a xidump on any device? Here is what I get...
    Code:
    crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 36 Nov 10 00:28 mouse4
    crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 37 Nov  9 23:58 mouse5
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      6 Nov 10 00:28 tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-stylus -> event9
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      7 Nov 10 00:28 tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-touch -> event10
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      6 Nov 10 00:28 wacom -> event9
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      7 Nov 10 00:28 wacom-touch -> event10

root@kgulnb:/home/karl/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1# xidump /dev/input/wacom-touch 
    Error (2): WacomConfigOpenDevice: No such device
    Get: Failed to open device '/dev/input/wacom-touch'
    Get: Failed to open device '/dev/input/wacom-touch'
    Unable to find input device '/dev/input/wacom-touch'

root@kgulnb:/home/karl/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1# xidump /dev/input/wacom       
    Get: Failed to open device '/dev/input/wacom'
    Get: Failed to open device '/dev/input/wacom'
    Unable to find input device '/dev/input/wacom'

root@kgulnb:/home/karl/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1# xidump /dev/input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-touch 
    Get: Failed to open device '/dev/input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-touch'
    Get: Failed to open device '/dev/input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-touch'
    Unable to find input device '/dev/input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-touch'

root@kgulnb:/home/karl/Downloads/Sys/Wacom/linuxwacom-0.8.5-1# xidump /dev/input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-stylus 
    Get: Failed to open device '/dev/input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-stylus'
    Get: Failed to open device '/dev/input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-stylus'
    Unable to find input device '/dev/input/tablet-wacom-bamboo-pen_touch-stylus'
    Am I missing something? What else can I look for?

EDIT: BTW unplugging and replugging is not working - no tablet after replugging
    No reboot necessary but I have to reload wacom with modprobe to get it active again.

EDIT: wacomcpl is working - tho 'touch' is blank - not coded yet likely? Do note the 2 'pad's tho in the attached image.

EDIT: also, setting buttons on the tablet has no effect - I expect we haven't got near this yet, code wise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kgingeri; November 10th, 2009 at 06:49 AM.

Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast