Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 - How do you manually configure X11 ??

Beans

9.10 - How do you manually configure X11 ??

Hi Guys,

is there any way to manually configure X11 in 9.10? The System -> Preferences -> Display utility doesn't detect my monitor so I'd like to configure it manually. I have tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg and that command doesn't do anything at all. It just returns to the command prompt. I also Rebooted the box into recovery mode and couldn't find xfix. So I dropped into a root shell and went to /usr/share/recovery-mode/options and manually ran xfix. Again nothing, probably because Xfix calls the above command which doesn't work anymore. Also tried xrandr with no luck.

This monitor works in 9.04 so I am surprised that it stopped working in 9.10. It would appear that a lot of things in X11 have been changed/automated in 9.10 so is there any way to port config files from 9.04 over to 9.10?

Cheers!

Mich

Beans

Re: 9.10 - How do you manually configure X11 ??

This monitor works in 9.04 so I am surprised that it stopped working in 9.10. It would appear that a lot of things in X11 have been changed/automated in 9.10 so is there any way to port config files from 9.04 over to 9.10?
    sure you can copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from 9.04 or just manually edit it to match.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You aren't alone, it appears that a lot of people are having display issues. While 9.10 abandoned xorg.conf, your 9.04 xorg.conf should still be used if present. Copy it over and see how you get on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mictho100 View Post
    The System -> Preferences -> Display utility doesn't detect my monitor so I'd like to configure it manually.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg and It just returns to the command prompt.
    You can copy over your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if you have a working 9.04 installation.

The dpkg-reconfigure command's behavior has changed from Hardy onwards; all it does it remove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and replace it with a "generic" one.

To configure it manually, you have to place the correct settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

What is the problem you are running into? If you can specify that, someone can probably suggest exactly what changes need to be made to the xorg.conf file.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    You can copy over your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if you have a working 9.04 installation.

The dpkg-reconfigure command's behavior has changed from Hardy onwards; all it does it remove the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and replace it with a "generic" one.

To configure it manually, you have to place the correct settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

What is the problem you are running into? If you can specify that, someone can probably suggest exactly what changes need to be made to the xorg.conf file.
    Essentially the laptop screen is not being detected in 9.10. I can only use this machine because I have an external monitor plugged into the VGA port and that works fine. I tried the suggestion above to copy the xorg.conf file over from the 9.04 install but it didn't make any difference whatsoever. The symptoms are the same. When the machine boots, as soon as the framebuffer comes up the internal laptop monitor goes black. Then, while ubuntu continues to load the internal screen flashes white a couple of times but never comes on.

I just tried doing a fresh install of 9.04 on the machine. The screens worked fine. Then did an upgrade to 9.10 and after the reboot the internal screen no longer works. So something has changed in 9.10 that stops the screen from working and I am not sure its simply a different xorg.conf file. I believe the changes may be a bit more profound than that?

BTW, the laptop is a Motion tablet PC LE1700. All the features of the tablet PC work out of the box in 9.04, including the pen and touch screen.

Cheers,

Mich

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Giblet has written a pretty thorough post on why it's happening to so many people:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...45#post8302145

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Giblet has written a pretty thorough post on why it's happening to so many people:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...45#post8302145
    You rock! 8)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't, but Giblet does

Beans

Well, no luck I'm afraid. Followed the article to muck around with the sync rates but I couldn't get the monitor to work. Then had a stroke of Genius and booted into the 9.04 live CD to take some screenshots and to repeat the "X -configure" command there. Did that and the xorg.conf file doesn't contain anything....

Can anyone tell me where the Display Preferences utility keeps its config files? I'm asking because copying over the xorg.conf file doesn't seem to make a different so maybe i'll be in luck with the config file for the Display Preferences utility??

I've added some attachments. Img2 shows the 2 screens working in 9.04 and Screenshot.png shows the output of the Display Preferences utility under 9.04. Img1 is how the screen looks under 9.10. Only the external one works. This is SOOOO bizarre!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Xorg.0.log.gz <- This is the X log file from 9.04. Maybe one of you guys can make more sense of it than I can. I am trying to understand it but I'm struggling a little bit.

Xorg.9.10.log.gz <- Log file for the 9.10 install. Apologies for the compression btw, but it wouldn't allow me to upload the logs uncompressed for some reason.....

Cheers!! 8)

Mich
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast