Thread: Microphone / Headset problem with SBx00 Azalia (Acer Aspire 6530)

Beans

Microphone / Headset problem with SBx00 Azalia (Acer Aspire 6530)

Hello people, I am aware that this problem was reported many times in the past, but since I couldn't find any solution, please point me to the right direction if I missed something.

I use 8.10/x86_64 on Acer Aspire 6530, which has

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV635 Audio device [Radeon HD 3600 Series]

Internal microphone doesn't work and headset/external microphone jacks as well, actually as they don't exist, both in Skype and in all other apps. I tried all options in mixer, all capture combinations etc. -- nothing. Tried to update ALSA to 1.0.18a, no effect.

My only option for now is to but bluetooth headset and try it, but I hope someone found a solution for this annoying problem.

The hardware details:

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV635 Audio device [Radeon HD 3600 Series]
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0166
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
    Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 19
    Region 0: Memory at cfeec000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0166
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=slow >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
    Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 16
    Region 0: Memory at f0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Beans

Re: Microphone / Headset problem with SBx00 Azalia (Acer Aspire 6530)

I'm wondering if you were able to solve the problem, or if anyone else has. I have (I believe) the same audio setup in a Toshiba, and I can't get any kind of microphone working. It would be nice so that I could use my new laptop for Skype.

Beans

Just an update: I tried in vain for a while to get the mic going. I tried to update alsa by hand compiling, disabling pulse audio, etc....

Nothing worked. Then, I came across a similar post that stated a switch to OSS (which I guess is currently being developed, which I didn't know) would solve the problem. It did. I think the sound output is of slightly less quality than alsa, and I have to restart it (sudo soundoff/sudo soundon) each time I come out of a suspend/resume cycle, but the performance is more than tolerable and the mic now works.

For someone who is not concerned with an advanced sound output setup, I would advise a switch to OSS following the following wiki, which I did.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound

Beans

I have the same problem, please help.

Computer is Toshiba Satellite U405D-S2902.
    # lspci | grep Audio
    # uname -a
    Linux Thermalgy-Ubuntu 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:24:39 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

No sound input tested w/ sound recorder and skype. Sound output works fine. Already tried replacing pulseaudio with esound, still not working. I need decent quality audio, mostly for Skype.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

I have the same problem, any help would be appreciated.

Beans

I know this post is old.. but i had this problem on my acer aspire 6530G and solved it by opening alsamixer and found out that the volume of my mic was down, so i pulled it up and then under capture i choosed "int mic" under "Input so"
    that did it for me... i didn't have to change anything else... i am still a linux-newbie, so i just played around a little....

Beans

got this working for me also under 9.10 had to uninstall pulseaudio. Check out this post.http://n2.nabble.com/Re-Ubuntu-s-swi...td3886061.html

Beans

This bug seems to be plague all hda SBx00 microphones
    I saw a bug 480815 and the user gilianphilippo had a working solution. I have tweak it a little and tested it works on NV53

Add following
    options snd_hda_intel model=laptop
    options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 enable=yes
    to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    and restart