Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: call for unity7 testing, maintainers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: call for unity7 testing, maintainers

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    The ubuntu-session package will install a GNOME session in Ubuntu 17.10. Assuming the Ubuntu session is customized for Ubuntu, that's leaves a gnome-session package that could provide a more upstream version of GNOME if someone wants to maintain that.

Therefore, a unity-session package had to be introduced for people to be able to run Unity.

These -session packages provide the files needed for the login screen to show you a desktop option and let you log in to it.
    Ok Jeremy, thanks for the explanation. This is all very nice, but as of 08:30 (eastern time), with unity-session installed, I still can't log into Unity from lightdm after yesterday's changes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

@yahoe and all

From Will Cooke;

Hi Dale,

We're in the middle of changing the Ubuntu session to use GNOME instead of Unity. There will be a period of weirdness while this is competed.

You can follow the high-level progress here: https://trello.com/c/TLheyL5G
    Trello
    trello.com
    Organize anything, together. Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, know what's being worked on, who's working on what, and where something is in a process.

I think that should have all the details, but let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers, Will

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoé View Post
    Ok Jeremy, thanks for the explanation. This is all very nice, but as of 08:30 (eastern time), with unity-session installed, I still can't log into Unity from lightdm after yesterday's changes.
    Are you using proposed?

I have had an awesomely smooth transition here to unity-session.
    Last edited by ventrical; June 21st, 2017 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    gnome-session (3.24.1-0ubuntu3) artful; urgency=medium

* Rename ubuntu-session into unity-session

devs have started removing unity; that's it.
    Actually it appears that they are doing a lot of testing/discussion on unity7 as they are converting ubuntu-session over to unity-session. This is an awesome development I think. If all goes well there may be a better than good chance that unity7 will be in the universe during 18.04. testing.

I am still hoping we can get a small group of persons from our team to take up maintaining/testing some of the unity depends. I appreciate all the work you do in testing this in conversion, however I wonder if there are still any out there who would like to try a commit to this (other than Jeremy) because Jeremy has his hands full with gnome-shell dev.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Re-booted and now I have 'unity-default' in the greeter.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

At 11:45 (eastern time), after the latest updates to gnome-session and to unity-session, Unity is still a no go. The greeter is there, but after entering the password, wait, wait, wait...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoé View Post
    At 11:45 (eastern time), after the latest updates to gnome-session and to unity-session, Unity is still a no go. The greeter is there, but after entering the password, wait, wait, wait...
    Could you perhaps remove unity-session and reinstall ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Could you perhaps remove unity-session and reinstall ?
    After dist-upgrading the system at 02:45 (eastern), gnone-session and unity-session where yet again updated, but I still couldn't log into Unity. I then purged unity*, reinstalled ubuntu-session, and was finally able to log into Unity.
    Last edited by Yahoé; June 22nd, 2017 at 07:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    If all goes well there may be a better than good chance that unity7 will be in the universe during 18.04. testing.
    The question is: In what state? Chances are that it will get broken more and more over time without active maintenance. Cohesion and stability will decrease with every Unity patch dropped from the GNOME packages.

The only way I see a working Unity from 18.04 onwards is by including it as a 16.4. based snap.
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by amano View Post
    The question is: In what state? Chances are that it will get broken more and more over time without active maintenance. Cohesion and stability will decrease with every Unity patch dropped from the GNOME packages.

The only way I see a working Unity from 18.04 onwards is by including it as a 16.4. based snap.
    Well.. I am still trying to get volunteers to take up the maintainers position.

Maybe you could help before I ask Will.

1. How many persons does it usually take to maintain patches to, say , unity7.
    2. What kind of commitment is involved?
    3. Can you give me a short list of 'things we need to know'.
    4. Can you volunteer as a maintainer?

Regards..

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast