Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: World of Warcraft with Wine [OUTDATED]

Beans

Re: World of Warcraft with Wine

It's because people keep finding old, outdated, misleading, and completely useless howtos like this one, when they search the forum for a "world of warcraft howto"

Beans

Too true... I used a different how-to recently and can get WoW working, although my only problem is, I don't have enough disk space on my computer for it...
    -Vertimyst

Beans

oxy and scooter, the default wine libraries you download from the Ubuntu repositories should get you up and running with Warcraft without any need for patching. The only thing you'll want to do is make sure your sound is setup properly in winecfg, and that you've modified Config.wtf in the Warcraft directory to use opengl and the proper sound mode (maybe a couple other changes there). These changes are well-documented elsewhere so I won't bother repeating them further.

I also found that upgrading to 6.10 seemed to help a clean up some of the issues I was having.

Beans

Hi all!
    There is no more need to patch and build Wine from source, if you get last binaries (ver 9.30).
    I suggest you to download them following this procedure:
    http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

I did it and Wow works fine!
    Hope it helps.

Mic

Beans

so WoW will run, but not smoothly and it exits when about halfway through the load screen when i'm logging in (to play, not into the account)

any clue what the problem might be?

vid card is a Nvidia MX420
    Last edited by smclough; February 11th, 2007 at 07:49 PM.

Beans

Have you tried everything suggested in this updated howto: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft ?

Beans

smclough, what is the output you receive on the command line when you try to run WoW? are there any error messages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I just downloaded ubuntu a few hours ago and am having a hard time with it. Honestly all i use my computer for is world of warcraft but cant seem to get it running good. I tried to follow the wine instal instructions as good as i could understand but I truly have no idea what im doing. I just coppy and past everything i can find in the terminal. I seem to have gotten wow to start up and run but every time it starts up my resolution goes from 1280x800 to 800x600 the game seems to be missing a bunch of pictures of my spells and stuff and if i try to adjust the video settings it locks up and i need to restart my computer. i see posts of people resetting settings in what looks like the actual world of warcraft file but i don't know where my file was downloaded to on my computer. hell i dont even know if it actualy is downloaded on my computer. I found this post and want to follow it but not sure if it still works now that it's old. The first thing it tells me to do is uninstall wine and i dont know how to uninstall it.

Maybe if someone could help explain what to do in overly simple terms I just might be able to not only fix it but understand what the hell im doing.

Beans

DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS TREAD!

Instead you should follow the directions in our community WoW/Wine wiki, which I'll post again here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

And you should ask for help/directions on making this work in this tread: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=312482

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I'm locking it down.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637