Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATI Radeon X1600 Drivers

Beans

ATI Radeon X1600 Drivers

Hi, I'm new to Ubuntu, and I'm trying to get drivers for my graphics card to install. I've downloaded them from the ATI website, and tried to execute the .run file with this command:

Code:
    sudo bash ati-driver-installer-9-3-x86.x86_64.run
    It goes fine, and even comes up with a title, but then always gives me this:
    Code:
    Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
    default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.31-11-generic; make sure that the version is being
    correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.girakh
    The graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1600, in a 17" Intel iMac. I've tried it in 9.04 and 9.10, both virtualised in VirtualBox with Mac OS 10.6.1 as host OS, and both with the same error.

Thanks in advance for any help =D

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: ATI Radeon X1600 Drivers

1) Catalyst 9.3 will only work with Xserver v1.5.2, not v1.6.x and above. So, you may have to downgrade your Xserver (http://tan-com.com/posts/technology/...i-driver-issue)

2) Catalyst 9.3 only supports kernels 2.6.28 and below. There is a patch for 2.6.29 [(http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25105);(http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...kernel-722858/)]. In short, best to stick with the opensource drivers for your environment.

Beans

Ah, thank you. I didn't realise there where open-source drivers.

I've downloaded one from x.org, but I am unsure of how to install it. There doesn't seem to be any form of executable file, and there aren't any instructions either.

Sorry for being useless =P

Beans

I posted to a thread here about that error:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1288652

(Solved the error, but the install still failed).

Maybe you can get it to work and tell me how?

I have a Radeon X1650(AGP).

After my attempt, I rebooted to find that the screen was unviewable and had to start from scratch (with Open Source drivers).

Trying to fix a problem where the screen "sleeps" during movies and games after about 10-20 min. (without PM and screensaver on) and goes unrecoverable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by olihawes View Post
    Ah, thank you. I didn't realise there where open-source drivers.

I've downloaded one from x.org, but I am unsure of how to install it. There doesn't seem to be any form of executable file, and there aren't any instructions either.

Sorry for being useless =P
    You don't have to do anything to use the opensource drivers. They are used by default.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    You don't have to do anything to use the opensource drivers. They are used by default.
    Sorry, I don't understand.

At the moment, I have a folder containing the drivers sitting in my home directory. How do I get Ubuntu to use it as a driver? Do I just need to place it in a certain location?

Again, sorry for being hopeless.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

When you install Ubuntu it will automatically use the opensource drivers for your graphics card. They come on the install disk, and are enabled by default. You don't need to download them, or do anything to use them. You are already using them.

Beans

Oh right! Thanks for that =)

OK, then I have a new problem - why can't I run Ubuntu at full 1440x900 resolution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You should not have to do any thing.
    I'm using an ATI x1600XT 256Mb with 2 Acer 19" running at 1440x900 in dual view.

I was looking on how to install the ATI drivers, but it seems it's better to stay put!

Cheers

Beans

Welcome to my hell. I have ATI Radeon x1270. If you install Intrepid (8.10) instead of Karmic, you can get Catalyst 9.3 running fine, no, not fine, BEAUTIFUL. ATI stinks, this is their fault. They made the video system in my one year old laptop obsolete 3 months after I purchased it. You need xorg-xserver 1.5.2 or lower running, which is what Intrepid is using. Problem is Intrepid becomes obsolete in April. The latest kernel update was supposed to fix this, the open source drivers were going to be improved. It failed miserably in my opinion.2d and Compiz work fine, but no 3d. Hopefully the next build will have better open source drivers. In the meantime, I'd go with intrepid, or what I plan on doing is abandoning Ubuntu all together for the time being and installing Debian 5.0. It has a compatible xorg for the ATI drivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast