Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ati video cards under legacy support in 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ati video cards under legacy support in 10.04

ok, when I did it, this was the result, as I remember.

sudo apt-get update---ran with no faults

sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-dev fglrx-modaliases ---Also no faults

If you get this message when running the apt-get install command:

Building for architecture x86_64
    Module build for the currently running kernel was skipped since the
    kernel source for this kernel does not seem to be installed.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)---I didnt get the message, so I disregarded the next three lines--

I went right to ---sudo aticonfig --initial and it told me that an applicable card could not be found, or something worded similarly.

I went back and ran the 3 commands one at a time..

sudo apt-get remove fglrx---no faults, then

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`---no faults, then

sudo apt-get install fglrx---no faults

ran sudo aticonfig --initial again, still showed no applicable card installed.

I restarted, and when it came back up, the video was back to its normal speed.

It didnt go exactly like it was spelled out at the link, but pretty close..

Hope this helps..Chrisco

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

thank you for the reply Chrisco. But you missed my point. The speed has indeed improved but the visual effects don't work. Videos run smoothly for me and I can even drag a video window with the video running with no issue.

I'm trying to get the eye candy going as well. Have you manage to get it to work?

Also I have attempted the steps you listed as well with no success in terms of effects. Usability has gone up but nothing otherwise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@ConfusedComputerUser: The X1600 is not supported by the ATI proprietary driver. I'm surprised that any of the steps listed have actually changed anything on your system for the better, because by rights they should have stopped your card from working at all.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    @ConfusedComputerUser: The X1600 is not supported by the ATI proprietary driver. I'm surprised that any of the steps listed have actually changed anything on your system for the better, because by rights they should have stopped your card from working at all.

Well they haven't. I can run videos and pretty much move/drag the windows which is much better than what happened when I did the clean install with what I'm guessing were the open drivers.

So how do I salvage this? Is there a solution? I've posted in other threads and i'm not the only one having issues with older ATI cards. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Confused Computer User View Post
    So how do I salvage this? Is there a solution? I've posted in other threads and i'm not the only one having issues with older ATI cards. Any suggestions?
    Suggestion is to go over to the Phoronix forums and see what they have regarding tips in using the ATI drivers. They do a LOT of tweaking using both the fglrx drivers and the open source drivers.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Confused Computer User, I have not played around with effects like compiz, if that's what you are talking about. Maybe the other post from Mark Phelps is the way to go for now. Good luck, and keep us informed..

Beans

I am using ATI X700, compiz effect, cairo-docky (opengl) all running. Ok it is not lightning fast or silk smooth but... it is acceptable.

3D Cube + movie + Magic Lamp effect + bunch of other effects I am running.

What sort of effects are we talk here?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisco66 View Post
    Confused Computer User, I have not played around with effects like compiz, if that's what you are talking about. Maybe the other post from Mark Phelps is the way to go for now. Good luck, and keep us informed..
    I have followed up on Mark Phelps' suggestion. The problem with that is that half the stuff on the forum went over my head. The other half went way, way over my head.
    I'm not a power user nor an experienced programmer (basic java knowledge but not nearly enough). So altering some of the basic files for me is out of the question. I might resort to becoming a member and asking for help but for now I'll wait.

on that note, thanks Mark Phelps for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by parn View Post
    I am using ATI X700, compiz effect, cairo-docky (opengl) all running. Ok it is not lightning fast or silk smooth but... it is acceptable.

Well that's what I was hoping to get as well. the problem in my case is the "acceptable" part.

When I would scroll a web page it felt like it was jammed. It took like 10 seconds to scroll down to the bottom. And mind you that was without seeing the middle of the page. I would see the top and then the bottom.

Another thing, dragging an open window was near impossible. I mean it never worked.

You might think I'm peaky but this is not acceptable for me.

Also, thank you for the feed back as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by parn View Post

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Are you running 10.04? If so, how did you get the effects to work?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kid_eh View Post
    That's exactly what I'm looking for! Are you running 10.04? If so, how did you get the effects to work?
    I can tell you that with a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04, the effects were working for me but they were SLOW (not meant as a scream but as an emphasis)

I found a link that suggests:

If you find that after upgrading to X.Org 7.3 your display becomes very slow, and you own ATI Radeon, all you need to do is to put this line in the Device section of your xorg.conf:

Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

After that, your display should return to the normal speed, and X server will stop burning CPU cycles during such simple tasks like moving windows or switching workspaces.
    See:
    http://www.linuxinsight.com/your-ati...erver-1.3.html

Now I haven't tried this, and after 10 re-installs I am not willing to try this yet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast