Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Verizon Wireless USB760

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: [SOLVED] Verizon Wireless USB760

EDIT: It was working, see next post.

I followed the above instructions, except for the part where it says "Make sure it didn't mount anything." That instruction was a little vague, so I was unable to follow it.

Using Intrepid on ASUS N10J-A2, updated, and with packages gnome-network-admin 2.22.1-0ubuntu1 and notecase 1.9.1-0ubuntu1 installed. I don't want to install anything else until I get the evdo working in Ubuntu, until then I am working in Vista. I do have a wireless link at the library, Ubuntu automatically connects and I don't even know how to change that so it asks me first.

The modem works fine in Vista, I verified the vendor and device ids in Device Manager > Properties.

$ uname -a
    Linux PA1FF2VMQQ 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:24:39 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Reboot, then:
    $ sudo cp /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules ./70-persistent-cd.txt
    $ sudo cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi ./10-modem.fdi.txt
    $ sudo ls /dev > ~/dev-ls.0

Open Computer then insert USB760. A USB Drive appears in Computer, then quickly disappears. After a few seconds delay a *second* USB Drive appears in Computer and hangs around. If I right-click on it, there is an option to Mount Volume. Properties is useless though. So I guess I failed to "make sure it didn't mount anything".

$ sudo ls /dev > ./dev-ls.novatel
    $ diff ./dev-ls.0 ./dev-ls.novatel > ./dev-ls-diff.txt
    $ dmesg > ./dmesg.txt
    $ network-admin

(network-admin:6282): Gtk-WARNING **: Unknown property: GtkComboBox.items

Probably should get that warning fixed. Any ideas for that?

Anyway, Network Settings has Wireless (wlan0), Wired (pan0), Wired (eth0) and Point to Point (ppp0), but no CDMA.

Attaching the relevant files, except:
    - snipped 10-modem.fdi because it was too big to upload, even gzip'd.
    - tailed dmesg.txt for same and for privacy.

EDIT: took down the files, sorry.
    Last edited by adbennet; March 6th, 2009 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Edit because it was working and I didn't know it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Doh!

It was working the whole time, the problem is that when the instructions said to "left click the network applet" I didn't know what that meant. Being a menu-driven guy, I clicked System > Administration and saw only Network Tools. So I researched on the internet and "figured out" that I needed to install gnome-network-admin. Did that and now I could click System > Administration > Network and get nowhere.

For those who are easily confused like me, you don't want the "network applet", you want the NetworkManager Applet. NetworkManager is in the default ubuntu installation, and the applet is an icon on the top "panel" in gnome.

Left-click on it and you might see:

Wired Network
    [ ] Auto eth0
    Wireless Networks
    [ ] Blue Morpho
    [ ] homenetgear
    VPN Connections >
    Connect to Hidden Wireless Network...
    Create New Wireless Network...

After configuring the USB760 like the instructions said, you will see a new entry:
    [ ] Auto Mobile Broadband (CDMA) connection

That's it. Click the radio button and it should connect. The second USB Drive that I got turned out not to be important.

BTW, right-clicking the NetworkManager Applet icon is how you edit the connections, for example to set it to not connect automatically.

Many thanks to the community for this thread. With a 24/7 network available, life is sweet again.

Beans

Hi all, I've carefully gone thru this thread and another USB760 thread, but to no avail. I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on an Asus eeePC 1000h. I was able to activate the card just fine in Windows, and connect successfully.

I added the lines from the first part of this post to prevent the virtual CD ROM from mounting, and that was successful. I updated my network manager with sudo apt-get install gnome-network-admin. I rebooted, with the card in, and I still fail to get a "auto CDMA.." in my network connections. I even tried editing the network connections to manually add it in under Mobile Broadband, however there's no option for any Verizon or CDMA, so I figured that'd be futile. Any tips?

Thanks!!!

Beans

Okay I solved my own problem. the issue was, the wrong VendorID was inputed, either by me or auto-generated at some point:

Edit your /etc/modprobe.d/usb760

and make sure the vendor and product info are correct. for the USB760, here is the correct info (mine had the wrong vendor):

options usbserial vendor=0x1410 product=0x6000

Save and exit, leave your device inserted, reboot (still inserted) and you should have the auto CDMA in your network manager when left-clicking.

If you are troubleshooting a different revision of this USB device many years from now... you can verify the vendor ID and Product ID by entering at the terminal:
    lsusb
    It will show all the connected USB devices, and the vendorID and ProductID are the 5th column, seperated by a colon. example: 1410:6000 This info is entered in the above note with a preceding "0x".

I hope this helps!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gmontag1979 View Post
    Just wanted to add, this is a really great solution, just make sure to put the stuff below in the USB devices section, otherwise it doesnt work.

<!-- Verizon USB760-->
    <match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x1410">
    <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="0x6000">
    <match key="@info.parent:usb.interface.number" int="0">
    <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">modem</append>
    <append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">IS-707-A</append>
    </match>
    </match>
    </match>

Thanks!!!!
    What do you mean in the USB devices section??? Can someone post their file, I'm having issues getting my usb760 working on my dell mini 9 (mini9). Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

...OR maybe I'm just missing a step. So I've modified the two files as mentioned above (/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules & /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi). I insert my usb760 and I do see that a usb drive does show up under "computer" but when I double click on it, it says that it's not mounted, which is a good sign, right? I ran "lsusb" and it does show up as 1410:6000. left clicking the wireless network applet in the toolbar only shows my wireless networks. If I click on manually configure I only see three devices listed: wired, wireless, and point to point (this my bluetooth right?). Do I need to create this file "/etc/modprobe.d/usb760" as it doesn't exist on my computer? Are there any commands, files, packages, steps, or anything that I'm missing?

Do I need this package: wvdial ?
    Last edited by gwolfman; April 14th, 2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added second paragraph

Beans

I am pretty much in the same boat. I have modified all of the files stated (even created the /etc/modprobe.d/usb760 file), but still do not have the modem showing up as selectable under the network manager.

======================

Ignore my above post, I upgraded to 9.04 and followed the steps from the previous poster again and it worked like a champ. I have no idea why it did not work on the last version. My only thought is that it had something to do with the Dell version that was installed. Mobile browsing is now my friend again.
    Last edited by vallanced; April 28th, 2009 at 11:20 PM.

Beans

ok followed the steps, in the first section of the instructions i found 3 places that had novel_mass_ storage in them, i figured out the first one, when the run command was added, allowed the modem to operate properly as described in the instructions, the modem to appear, disappear, and reappear in the computer folder, so I added the run command to that. I then added the script to the USB section, and this gave me the ability to connect to the internet. works great four about 1.5 minutes, then the green light on the modem goes orange, and i lose all connection I have to unplug and start all over again. please help! this is so frustrating

Beans

Any suggestions?

Beans

I'm trying to install a Verizon USB760 modem in a Dell Mini 12 with Ubuntu 8.0.4LTS.
    I've modified both the 70-persistant rules and 10-modem files.

Does anyone know what is supposed to be written in the /etc/modprobe.d/usb760 file to get this to work?

thanks

Patrick

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast