Page 22 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Beans

Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Quote Originally Posted by marduk667 View Post
    Yeah, that's where I got mine. As I mentioned above, they're substantially different than the ones the mplayer patch was coded against.

Still looking for someone's /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/psb_drv_video.so ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hey i have not extracted the image yet, but as far as i did it (maybe tomorrow) i will upload the files.

What did you change to compile mplayer?

Beans

That libva1 is the same one that ships with the Dell installation.

I will tar up my psb_drv_video.so with those other files when I get home.

Beans

Here is my psb_drv_video.so and psb_drv_video.la
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ah thanks...i just wanted to extract my image...

Beans

I'm a little confused on the UNR. Is it based on 8.04 or 8.10?

Also is the UNR beneficial? The original Dell image is really slow. Is battery the same?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyDesi View Post
    I'm a little confused on the UNR. Is it based on 8.04 or 8.10?

Also is the UNR beneficial? The original Dell image is really slow. Is battery the same?
    UNR is just some extra packages for Ubuntu. You can get it for 8.04 or 8.10. However there are no 3d drivers for the x server in 8.10, so people are using 8.04.

And the Dell image is not slow, the machine is slow. It weighs nothing and costs nothing, something has to give. If you are using the Dell image then you need to run it in standard full desktop mode not whatever weird mode it ships with. That desktop launcher is hideous, slow and completely useless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kdubya View Post
    UNR is just some extra packages for Ubuntu. You can get it for 8.04 or 8.10. However there are no 3d drivers for the x server in 8.10, so people are using 8.04.

And the Dell image is not slow, the machine is slow. It weighs nothing and costs nothing, something has to give. If you are using the Dell image then you need to run it in standard full desktop mode not whatever weird mode it ships with. That desktop launcher is hideous, slow and completely useless.
    What is post 94 referring to then?

Beans

This is incorrect on several levels.

First, the UNR is based on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy), and it does indeed have several extra packages (ume-launcher, maximus, etc.) - but it also uses a different architecture, lpia ("low-powered intel architecture.") Packages built for the lpia architecture have different compiler optimizations enabled that (supposedly) make them run faster on the Atom (with its small cache, for example.) Most i386-architecture .debs should run fine on the lpia architecture, but many of them won't install because the person who built the package didn't anticipate lpia being binary-compatible with i386. (If you're just going to stick with software from the Ubuntu repositories, it's not a problem.)

The other thing that you get with a new architecture are architecture-specific kernel parameters. In this case, the UNR includes two kernel modules that are not available in the stock-standard Hardy install: psb.ko and drm_psb.ko modules. These modules are required to run the xserver-xorg-video-psb Xorg driver, which you need if you want full screen resolution on the display. If you use a stock Ubuntu installation, either 8.04 or 8.10, then you're stuck using the VESA drivers which max out at 1024x768, which your screen will then scale to 1280x800. Not the optimal solution.

Yes, you also need the UNR drivers for 3D and hardware-accelerated video - but those are just icing, and not required for day-to-day use. (Compiz doesn't work anyway.) If you want to get the most out of this hardware under Linux, you need to either use the Dell image (which might not be your best bet - see below), or follow the first two steps from post #94 on this thread to use the UNR image.

And the Dell image is not slow, the machine is slow.
    I havn't seen any benchmarks, but there are several people on this thread who have reported that the UNR installation as per post #94 is faster and more stable than the Dell-supplied image. YMMV.

It weighs nothing and costs nothing, something has to give. If you are using the Dell image then you need to run it in standard full desktop mode not whatever weird mode it ships with. That desktop launcher is hideous, slow and completely useless.
    Agreed on all points. This machine is meant for consumption and light productivity, not for serious work. On the other hand, it weighs ~2 lbs and gets 5.5 hrs of battery life on the 6-cell battery. I'm not sure what launcher Dell is using, but if it's based on ume-launcher, get rid of it - pull up a terminal, type 'gnome-session-properties', and de-select 'ume-launcher' and 'maximus' from the list of startup programs. That will get you back to the standard GNOME desktop, which is plenty-usable with this much screen real-estate.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brteag00 View Post
    If you want to get the most out of this hardware under Linux, you need to either use the Dell image (which might not be your best bet - see below), or follow the first two steps from post #94 on this thread to use the UNR image.
    Oh yeah, one other thing.

The folks at Canonical seem to have some source code from Intel that's not publicly available - this is what ends up in the psb kernel and Xorg drivers. These are substantially different than drivers at http://moblin.org, whose repositories havn't been touched in over 6 months. So, unless you want to try cross-porting the stuff from Ubuntu over to Fedora (or Gentoo or SuSE...etc), your best bet is to stay with Ubuntu in general, and the UNR in particular. It makes me sad, too, because Fedora is my preferred distro (/me ducks).

Hopefully this will get sorted out soon. Till then, this is what you're stuck with.

Page 22 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast