Page 9 of 142 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOW TO: Install a LinuxWacom Kernel Driver for Tablet PC's

Yes, I forgot about the rotation part to it.
    Yes the old way works just fine (I'm using it now)
    The current tutorial (if using 8.3-2) works perfect.
    (as a note, make sure you DON'T have libhal1-dev installed, or it will compile with hal stuff which is what we don't want.)
    Other than that everything is great.
    On another note, the keyboard decided to stop sending keycodes for one of the buttons and it's about to drive me insane! Been working on it for hours.. I may just move the keyboard back to the xorg.conf.. That seems to work better than other things lol.
    Kory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Kory,

Cywhale on the link I gave you tried it too and its working for him: xorg.conf and rotation.
    Is wacomcpl working now?

Also I'm curious was wacom-tools 0.8.2-2 ever present in Synaptics or wherever?

From rec on the other thread:
    Well, there's the first problem:

wacom-tools-0.8.2.2/linuxwacom/src/util/wacomcfg.c:
    #if WCM_XF86CONFIG
    /* read the config in for wacom devices which don't use the commnon identifier */
    #if WCM_XORG
    conf = readConfig ("/etc/X11/xorg.conf");
    #else
    conf = readConfig ("/etc/X11/XF86Config");
    #endif
    #endif

There's nothing about wacom devices in that file anymore.

Hmm, looks like xinput can find the devices, so there must be an Xlib api that would work.
    Last edited by Favux; April 12th, 2009 at 10:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah xsetwacom and all that works fine... and my old rotation script works (except for mapping it to the button )
    Also I'm curtions was wacom-tools 0.8.2-2 ever present in Synaptics or wherever?
    I have to say I have no idea what you mean here.. sorry.. Explain?

I'm not quite sure what that quote is supposed to mean either, but I do know the code part is about XF86Config. That was a patch put in a while back when I was still in the mailing list and stuff.
    It was so that you could name wacom devices whatever you want in xorg.conf (such as billy or bob instead of set names such as touch, stylus, etc..)
    Unfortunately Ubuntu packagers don't compile xorg with a certain flag (which compiles the needed libs for it to work) so ubuntuers still have to use set names.
    Anywho yeah.. Can you give me the link to the other thread so I can see what's going on there?
    Kory

Beans
    Distro

Hi Kory,

In the repository (remember the link you gave me a while ago) I couldn't find the 0.8.2-2 version of wacom-tools. So I'm wondering if it was in Jaunty's Synaptic repository. Rec says it was.

The link to the other thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122952

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If by repository you mean ubuntu packages, it's all there..
    Here's the link:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/wacom-tools
    Is that what you mean?
    Kory

Beans
    Distro

Hi Kory,

Yep, there it is. That's what I meant. It either wasn't there or I missed it. Misspelled something or whatever. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Kory and anyone interested,

I've screwed up my courage and am prepared to have it explained to me how thick I am. I think I get that a .fdi file can have only one "info.category" which contains="input". But as you said yourself:
    However even with that I am noticing that two devices are still created by hal named
    "Wacom ISDv4 93." I don't know how they got created, and they are empty devices.
    Remembering that our tablets actually consist of two seperate devices, the Wacom digitizer, and the touchscreen...well why can't we have two .fdi files?

The 10-wacom.fdi for stylus with eraser appended. And another one, call it 10-wacom-touch.fdi. In each case the "info.callouts.add" would be guided by the previous string: stylus or touch. We have two usb input paths, one for each after all. Wouldn't hal-setup-wacom then return the correct settings (path)? If it was "properly" constructed anyway.

Maybe it should be called 11-wacom-touch.fdi (if that's allowed) to make sure stylus is set up first.

So the attached is a first pass at the two .fdi files. I set up the stylus button to be a right mouse click and added stylus coordinates. Of course you could change them to yours from your .xinitrc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Your idea sounds like it may work, but I'm seeing a problem here:
    <match key="info.product" contains="Wacom">

That line is in both, and the first one read may pick up both... Besides with rec's script the he wrote in the other thread, we may not even need this. It looks like that might take care of everything, because it gets the devices where xsetwacom (and therefore wacomcpl) can see them. I haven't tested it yet, I will when I get home today and let you know how it works.
    Kory

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was able to get the stylus and eraser working with the 0.8.3-2 drivers, but at first, my screen would blank after booting. The fix turned out to be disableing (by commenting out the line in my xorg.conf) touch. I don't use the touch nearly as much as the stylus, so thats fine, but there is certainly a difference.

Anyway, thanks. You guys seem to know way more than I do (I don't know what an *.fdi file is, or anything about hal).

Beans
    Distro

Hi cak3,

That's interesting news. Thanks. If you read our posts and follow along you'll soon know at least as much as we do.

Hi Kory and everone,

I sure hope rec's script gives us what we need. But it's nice to have options isn't it? I agree that it may not be able to differentiate between the two. That was the problem Ron and Ping and the rest struggled with for a few months while they worked on the udev rules and symlinks. So let's see how they solved it.
    Code:
    more /proc/bus/input/devices
    gives
    Code:
    I: Bus=0003 Vendor=056a Product=0093 Version=0330
    N: Name="Wacom ISDv4 93"
    P: Phys=
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.3/1-2.3:1.0/input/input28
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse1 event9 
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=3c03 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=1000100001b

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=056a Product=0093 Version=0330
    N: Name="Wacom ISDv4 93"
    P: Phys=
    S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.0/usb1/1-2/1-2.3/1-2.3:1.1/input/input29
    U: Uniq=
    H: Handlers=mouse2 event10 
    B: EV=b
    B: KEY=3c03 0 0 0 0 0
    B: ABS=1000100001b
    gives the same vender, product, and version ID's. From “50-xserver-xorg-input-wacom.rules” in “/etc/udev/rules.d/” they start with:
    Code:
    # The ID_PATH variable is set by the "path_id" script in an earlier rule file.
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ENV{ID_PATH}=="?*", SYMLINK="input/by-path/$env{ID_PATH}-wacom"

# Multiple interface support for stylus and touch devices.
    DRIVERS=="wacom", ATTRS{bInterfaceNumber}=="00", ENV{WACOM_TYPE}="stylus"
    DRIVERS=="wacom", ATTRS{bInterfaceNumber}=="01", ENV{WACOM_TYPE}="touch"
    and the symlink for our tablet is:
    Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0093",  SYMLINK="input/tablet-tpc93-$env{WACOM_TYPE}"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="009a",  SYMLINK="input/tablet-tpc9a-$env{WACOM_TYPE}"
    The first symlink is the TX2000 and I think the second is the TX2500. Both of which have a seperate digitizer and touch panel. They finish with:
    Code:
    # Convenience links for the common case of a single tablet.  We could do just this:
    #ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", SYMLINK+="input/wacom-$env{WACOM_TYPE}"
    # but for legacy reasons, we keep the input/wacom link as the generic stylus device.
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ENV{WACOM_TYPE}!="touch", SYMLINK+="input/wacom"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ENV{WACOM_TYPE}=="touch", SYMLINK+="input/wacom-touch"
    And finally:
    Code:
    # Check and repossess the device if a module other than the wacom one
    # is already bound to it.
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ACTION=="add", RUN+="check_driver wacom $devpath $env{ID_BUS}"
    Which may or may not be important to us.

So sanity check. They used the "ATTRS{bInterfaceNumber}==" to distinguish them and used it to create "WACOM_TYPE". Correct? So is there an equivalent of "bInterfaceNumber" in HAL/.fdi/dBUS?

I haven't found any decent manual on HAL/.fdi/dBUS yet. Has anybody found an equivalent to "An Idiots Guide to etc."?

Page 9 of 142 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast