Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Microtek 4800 scanner

Beans

Re: Microtek 4800 scanner

Gerald,

Here's what I'm getting now:

lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05da:30cf Microtek International, Inc. ScanMaker 4800

ls -l /dev/bus/usb/001/
    crw-rw-r-- 1 root root 189, 0 2009-02-20 05:04 001
    crw-rw-r--+ 1 root scanner 189, 2 2009-02-20 05:04 003

strace -otmp/scan.txt scanimage >tmp/test.pnm
    scanimage: open of device sm3840:libusb:001:003 failed: Access to resource has been denied

tmp/scan.txt:
    open("/dev/bus/usb/001/003", O_RDWR) = 11
    ioctl(11, USBDEVFS_SETCONFIGURATION, 0xbfa13a14) = 0
    ioctl(11, USBDEVFS_CLAIMINTERFACE, 0xbfa13a14) = 0
    write(2, "scanimage: open of device sm3840"..., 91) = 91

I think what's happening here is:

1. The open() syscall is succeeding (returns file descriptor 11)

2. The 2 ioctl() syscalls are succeeding but USBDEVFS_CLAIMINTERFACE must be returning some sort of failure information

3. The write() syscall is to standard error 2 and it is writing the message we see; 91 is just the length of the message.

- Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi Gerald:

So I appended those lines to /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules, then did the following in Terminal:

Code:
    grashdur@Gateway3:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05da:30cf Microtek International, Inc. ScanMaker 4800
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:9360 Alcor Micro Corp. 8-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 03f0:0317 Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 1200
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000  
    grashdur@Gateway3:~$ grep scanner /etc/group
    scanner:x:105:hplip,ellsworth,grashdur,root
    grashdur@Gateway3:~$ tail -n1 /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules

grashdur@Gateway3:~$ ls /usr/lib/sane/libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.1*
    /usr/lib/sane/libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.19
    grashdur@Gateway3:~$ ls /etc/sane.d/sm3840.conf
    /etc/sane.d/sm3840.conf
    grashdur@Gateway3:~$ ls -l /dev/usbdev4.3*
    ls: cannot access /dev/usbdev4.3*: No such file or directory
    Everything looked fine until that last response. Perhaps I did something wrong here. But I tried Xsane anyway to see what happens, and got my usual message, "Access to resource is denied." I did this in my grashdur (administrative) account, which is listed above as having access.
    - Ubuntu 16.04 on 2016 System76 desktop + Ubuntu 18.04 on 2016 Dell Latitude laptop -

Beans

grashdur:

As I mentioned in my post I am getting the same error message that you are. Using the "lsusb" command my scanner is identified.

As I had mentioned my research has indicated that I need to revert to SM3840,so,1.0.15 and then install the patch.
    http://www.ziplabel.com/sm3840/index.html
    and
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ds/+bug/115898

I am not exactly sure how to go about all of this, even installing the patch, as I am a novice when it comes to Ubuntu.

I have read in more than one place that there is a bug with SM3840 versions after 1.0.15 so I am thinking that reverting is the way to go. I think the permission problem is due to the SMS3840 version that is installed which is preventing Ubuntu from properly identifying the scanner and providing the right permissions.

So how do I step by step go about installing SM3840,so,1.0.15 and the patches?

Beans

cgate:
    You are right. I did not expect the code to fail at that point.
    The sane-backend has separate parts, one part for the common (for all backends) and various backends, which support groups of scanners. The instruction to claim the USB interface is in the common part, so I expected that to work for most of the scanners.

grashdur:
    You were to use the "lsusb" command to identify YOUR Bus and Device number for t
    he scanner. It returned Bus 001 Device 005. Then use these numbers for the "ls
    -l /dev/usbdev1.5*
    Your 40-permissions.rules file has a blank line at the end. Either edit that li
    ne out, or use "tail -n2 <filepath>" to show the last two lines.

--:
    I have downloaded the 1.0.19 code, and will look a bit into the sm3840 backend over the weekend.

Gerald

Beans
    Distro

Hi DocEsq: Looks like we're in the same boat, both regarding our scanner problem and our confusion of what to do next. I came across that link you provided some time ago and then misplaced it. When people say, "Just copy this to over there, and install that..." I'm usually lost as to where the files are located what specific commands to use.
    - Ubuntu 16.04 on 2016 System76 desktop + Ubuntu 18.04 on 2016 Dell Latitude laptop -

Beans
    Distro

Hi Gerald: Okay, deleted the blank line. Still getting the same error message from XSane.

I wanted to know what format or wording to write the device and bus numbers for that command. I probably was unclear. When you didn't respond to that I thought you meant I don't type it there, but just look for that in the response to the command.

So:
    Code:
    grashdur@Gateway3:~$ ls -l /dev/usbdev4.3* bus 1 device 5
    ls: cannot access /dev/usbdev4.3*: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access bus: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access 1: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access device: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access 5: No such file or directory
    That link that DocEsq mentioned -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ds/+bug/115898 -- is interesting: I came across it some time ago, but when looking for it this time I couldn't locate it. It looks promising as a fix, but the discussion in it is somewhat above my level of knowledge so I haven't been able to apply it.

Beans

With nothing better to do at work I performed a google search and found a German post of the same problem.

The translated version through google is http://translate.google.com/translat...GL:en%26sa%3DN

The original version is http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/mi...n#post-1131723

The relevant post states:
    "I had the same problem and could solve it as follows

It seems the libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.17 responsible for the problem, since the libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15 the scanner works Scanmaker 4800.

I have at http / / packages.debian.org/de/sarge/i386/libsane-extras/download me the file libsane-extras_1.0.15.9_i386.deb downloaded.

Then open File Roller, and there data.tar.gz open the file libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15 unpacked.

The file in this directory

/ usr / lib / sane

Now open a terminal window up and down following commands
    sudo rm libsane-sm3840.so.1

and

sudo ln-s libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15 libsane-sm3840.so.1

Then ran the Microtek Scanmaker 4800 re 1a!

I came out with the following article

https / / bugs.launchpad.net / ubuntu / + source / sane-backends / + bug/115898/comments/6

Have fun scanning"

Note that this may not be an exact translation but it seems that we will have to install the previous backend.

This is the best set of directions I have found. If anyone knows of a better way please post. Also let us know if the translation is correct.

Doc

Beans
    Distro

Woo-hoo!! Great use of your idle time, Doc! That solution you found really worked for me! Now I can scan!!!

I know German, so I could use the posting you found. There were a couple of shortcomings/mistakes in that posting, but I was able to resolve them. Here is my translation, with my corrections added in square brackets:

==========================

I had the same problem and was able to solve it in the following way[:]

Apparently libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.17 is responsible for the problem, since with libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15 the scanner Scanmaker 4800 works.

At http//packages.debian.org/de/sarge/i386/libsane-extras/download I downloaded the file libsane-extras_1.0.15.9_i386.deb. [The colon : is missing from the web address, but the address is no longer valid anyway as a location for that file. On Google I found a current place from which you can download it: http://ftp.kaist.ac.kr/debian-archiv...ckends-extras/]
    Then opened it with File Roller [that's probably the Archive Manager], there opened data.tar.gz and unpacked the file libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15 [inside that file it can be found at this path: /./usr/lib/sane].

Then copy the file into the following directory[:]

/usr/lib/sane

Now open a Terminal window and put the following commands on a line[:]

[For relative n00bs like myself, I add the following necessary instruction before the next one the German user gives:
    Code:
    cd /usr/lib/sane
    So, continuing:]

Code:
    and

Code:
    sudo ln -s libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15 libsane-sm3840.so.1
    After that the Microtek Scanmaker 4800 again ran gr8!

I came across this in the following article[:]

https//bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-backends/+bug/115898/comments/6

[Instead of that address, try https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/115898]

Have fun scanning.

==============================

{posting by listless on German Ubuntu Forums: link http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/microtek-scanmaker-4800-funktioniert-nicht-un/?highlight=san#post-1131723}

By the way: In another ten years, cheap or free software is going to put professional translators out of work!

Also: How do I mark this post as SOLVED?
    Last edited by grashdur; February 24th, 2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: important correction

Beans

Angry Re: Microtek 4800 scanner

I must be doing something wrong as I can not get it to work.

I downloaded the file and tried to use the GDebi Package Installer but got an error message when I did. I then found another libsane-extras_1.0.15.9_i386.deb. on the internet which opened correctly.

I then looked for and found libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15 in /usr/lib/sane (I never did see the data.tar.gz)

I then entered:
    cd /usr/lib/sane

followed by:

and

sudo ln -s libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15 libsane-sm3840.so.1

It all seemed to work well until I then clicked on Xsane Image Scanner I kept getting that it was searching for the scanner. I had to force quit this after about 20 min.

I then decided to see if the original libsane-extras_1.0.15.9_i386.deb from the link would now work and it did. I then followed the commands for the terminal window and when I entered:
    I got a message that there was no file to remove.

I continued any way and Xsane Image Scanner and the Scanner utility would both hang while finding the scanner.

After force quitting I then saw that I could update to libsane-extras_1.0.18 from the update manager. At this point I figured that I had nothing to loose since the scanner was not working any way. It all seemed to download and install properly but again I get that the programs are searching for the scanner and I have to force quit.

I am not sure what I need to do at this point so any help would be great

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, Doc, I steered you wrong in one crucial detail: When "lustlos" in the German posting mentioned the "File Roller," I think he meant the Archive Manager. Just now I corrected that in my last post, for the benefit of anyone else who might read it. So if you've downloaded the file libsane-extras_1.0.15.9_i386.deb and it's sitting on your desktop, what I do is right-click on it for "Open with..." and I choose "Archive Manager" -- Ubuntu's utility for extracting zipped archive files. So I go in, find libsane-sm3840.so.1.0.15, and just click on it to extract it (I just put on on the desktop).

More details, just in case it's useful to you or anybody else: At this point you can press ALT-F2, and in the little window that pops up, type "gksu nautilus" -- which will open a copy of the Nautilus file browser, but with root privileges. Then you can paste the file in the required folder.

Also: When you did your second try, did you first say cd /usr/lib/sane before those two commands? That's necessary, otherwise the computer will look for the file in the wrong folder, and not find it.

So you can try it with the copy of the file you downloaded from somewhere else, or with the file I downloaded and gave a link to. Perhaps there's a difference, or perhaps not.

I hope it'll work out easily for you at this point. If not, I'll try to help further.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast