Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HP Pavillion DV4-1225DX issues / fix thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HP Pavillion DV4-1225DX issues / fix thread

I had a problem with the fn key "sticking" or working "backwards" (I had to hold it down to type normally). If anyone else gets this problem it's an easy fix. Hold down fn and numlk together and it should fix itself. Source http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-6...on-key-problem

Anyhow I found another issue. It wont accept my password when I return from standby.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ryofire View Post
    Anyhow I found another issue. It wont accept my password when I return from standby.
    By not accepting password, do you mean that your keyboard and/or mouse does not work when you resume from standby? If yes, did you try ssh from another machine on the network. If you find that the computer works through ssh, I think that the fix mentioned here, in the first post should help. Well, at least it worked for me in jaunty. In karmic, I had no such issues, luckily.

Beans

How about the webcam for dv4-1225dx. How can I install it? is there any manuals and software needed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm running xubuntu since my HP didn't seem to get along with ubuntu. I had sound in my speakers when I wanted that and had sound in my headphones when I want that. Now, after I updated the other day, there is no sound in my headphone, but it was play through my speakers no matter what...Any idea on what I should do??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I'm having trouble with the integrated microphone, I can't make it work. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, 64 bits. Any chance someone had the same problem and fixed it?
    "Human knowledge belongs to the world"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Applelnx View Post
    Hi, I'm having trouble with the integrated microphone, I can't make it work. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04, 64 bits. Any chance someone had the same problem and fixed it?
    Same issues here. I am using a Compaq CQ45 laptop. Not only does the integrated microphone not work, I also cannot use an external microphone, or headphones. This issue did not exist with ALSA (Karmic), but came in with pulseaudio. Any way to go back to ALSA, or fix the thing with pulseaudio?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't care too much about the web cam (I never used the one on my desktop either), but the card reader is one thing I can't get working and I use this on my desktop about once a week. Has anyone been able to figure this out?

Also, has anyone any information about external hard drive cases with the powered eSATA/USB combo? The hard drive in this laptop was toast and I don't want to put another one in as this laptop bakes like an oven (I have to use the Thermaltake Massive23 to cool it).

[Edit]
    Never mind. Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 seems to support the 4in1 card slot. I would like to see how well the Web Cam works on this laptop.

[Edit #2]
    It works! I just installed Cheese and I can only assume that if I install Skype that it will work there as well. Just about everything works.
    Last edited by imwithid; March 18th, 2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Revision / Spelling

Beans

Applelnx:

My friend Rory also has a DV4-1225DX. His Web cam and sound are working with the dell-m4-1 alsa driver. Skype works but with no microphone. I've been studying the forums and have tried hp-dv5 with and without msi_enable=1. Still no dice.

Do I have to upgrade from Alsa version 21 to the new 23? Or just wait
    for Ubuntu 10.10? Any simple replies welcome. I told him to just buy
    a better webcam as the built-in one is only .3MP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I find the only two persisting problems on this laptop as of Lucid 10.04 are:

1. The microphone (input works for external microphones) and
    2. The 5-in-1 card reader requires a reboot with the card inside for it to be detected.

I would like to know if it is possible to somehow kill the lights on the SmartMedia panel as well as the HP logo on the lid. I find the panel most annoying with the bright light always in my periphery, especially when the room gets dark. I'm not prepared to take apart this laptop (I just took apart an old Gateway to see if it was possible to retrofit an SATA hard drive using a 2.5" SATA to PATA converter - it almost worked if it hadn't been for the orientation of the pins).

[EDIT]

The 5-in-1 card reader's ability to detect memory cards depends on the BIOS settings.

If the card reader's power saving feature is ENABLED, then you must reboot the system with the card inserted for it to be detected.

If the card reader's power saving feature is DISABLED, then the card will be detected whenever it is inserted.

This is not much of a power saving feature if the system must be rebooted in order to detect the card. It wastes both time and power.
    Last edited by imwithid; August 20th, 2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Partial resolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have just installed Lucid 10.04.1 and the microphone problem seems to have gone away. I now have 3 microphones listed in Sound Preferences. I can now fully use Skype without having to plug in an external microphone.

This saves me from having to try upgrading to 10.10. I just want to stick with a single release for more than a few months for once. I haven't stayed with a single release of Ubuntu ever since I got my first taste of Ubuntu with version 6.06.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast