Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

Quote Originally Posted by idigchess View Post
    So, if I just start the partition 2048 sectors from the disk boundary would that be enough? I could do that in gparted, right?
    You first align the disk using instructions here. I'm not 100% certain if would work for intel 80gb, or is more specific for OCZ vertex. I'd assume it is very similar.

Then you go into gparted and create your partitions (linux / and say swap).

At least that is how I remember it. I aligned before doing anything else, then created partitions and installed from livecd. As far as I know it worked fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    You first align the disk using instructions here. I'm not 100% certain if would work for intel 80gb, or is more specific for OCZ vertex. I'd assume it is very similar.

Then you go into gparted and create your partitions (linux / and say swap).

At least that is how I remember it. I aligned before doing anything else, then created partitions and installed from livecd. As far as I know it worked fine.
    But is it worth the effort? I've heard that alignment really doesn't give much performance benefit, that it just reduces the write amplification.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

But is it worth the effort? I've heard that alignment really doesn't give much performance benefit, that it just reduces the write amplification.
    According to synthetics (like crystaldiskmark) I gained quite a bit in terms of small random writes - to the tune of +50%.
    But even if it was less, there's no way I'd allow a 400 euro piece of kit operate at anything under maximum efficiency.

And I will repeat, you can create a perfect alignment by creating ALL partitions with win7 and the alignment will remain after you format some partitions with ext4.
    This method requires 0 effort.
    HP Elitebook 8530p | C2D T9400 - 4GB DDR2 800 - ATI mobility radeon 3650 - Intel x25m 160GB G2
    A monkey hitting random keys on a computer keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely create fglrx drivers...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by apocalypse80 View Post
    According to synthetics (like crystaldiskmark) I gained quite a bit in terms of small random writes - to the tune of +50%.
    But even if it was less, there's no way I'd allow a 400 euro piece of kit operate at anything under maximum efficiency.

And I will repeat, you can create a perfect alignment by creating ALL partitions with win7 and the alignment will remain after you format some partitions with ext4.
    This method requires 0 effort.
    Okay, I misread your previous posts. You mean if I make several all three of my necessary partitions into ntfs using the Win7 partition tool and then reformat them, they will all automatically be aligned? If so, where do I find the win7 partition tool? I'm not that familiar with Vista/7 but I'm going to install it as soon as I get my new comp. (1 week!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay, I misread your previous posts. You mean if I make several all three of my necessary partitions into ntfs using the Win7 partition tool and then reformat them, they will all automatically be aligned?
    Yes.
    Except you can just leave linux partitions unformatted initially.

If so, where do I find the win7 partition tool? I'm not that familiar with Vista/7 but I'm going to install it as soon as I get my new comp. (1 week!)
    It comes with the OS, it's the normal disk management tool (control panel -> administrative tools).
    I just connected the ssd to a pc already running 7 as a secondary drive.
    The win7 installation process also creates aligned partitions, but it lacks any options.
    HP Elitebook 8530p | C2D T9400 - 4GB DDR2 800 - ATI mobility radeon 3650 - Intel x25m 160GB G2
    A monkey hitting random keys on a computer keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely create fglrx drivers...

Beans

seems like win7 is fully aware of non-rotating drives.

good thing to know (and make use of it ).

Beans

Exclamation Re: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tnttrx View Post
    LOL! I was entering my credit card info for the order when the email popped up! Thank you so much!

Beans

sorry to ruin your upgrade.

either wait for proven Intel firmware or go for OCZ:

the greatest Intel advantage over Indilinx-based SSDs is 4KB random writes.

honestly, I don't think any linux desktop user will see a lot of 4KB random writes unless he/she uses "noop" scheduler and/or disables write buffering.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tnttrx View Post
    sorry to ruin your upgrade.

either wait for proven Intel firmware or go for OCZ:

the greatest Intel advantage over Indilinx-based SSDs is 4KB random writes.

honestly, I don't think any linux desktop user will see a lot of 4KB random writes unless he/she uses "noop" scheduler and/or disables write buffering.
    Which one? OCZ vertex 120gb? I was looking at that but I thought that the used performance didn't look great compared to the intel drives and we still don't know if trim will really work all that great. Is the trim support in thos drives stable? I need 100gb, so I can't really go with anything smaller.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast