Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

Beans

Smile Re: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

and this could be very interesting for SSD users as they should avoid to much IOs (like swapping):

1.9. Compcache: memory compressed swapping

Recommended LWN article: Compcache: in-memory compressed swapping

Compcache is a project (still under development, only available in Staging) creates RAM-based block devices (/dev/ramzswapX) which are used as swap disks. Pages swapped to this virtual device are compressed to a smaller size. Part of your RAM is used as usually, and another part (the size is configurable) is used to save compressed pages, increases the amount of RAM you can use in practice.

This feature can be very useful in many cases: Netbooks, smartphones and other embedded devices, distro installers, dumb clients without disk, virtualization, or old machines with not enought RAM to run modern software.

Measurements have found this feature very effective. See this page to see some benchmarks. The project home page can be found at http://compcache.googlecode.com/

Beans

Re: Will Karmic Koala automatically have trim in effect ...

very nice

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    Awesome! When will it get rolled out in Ubuntu?

Beans

Not sure sorry.
    You can always roll it in yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm pissed off that an LTS release isn't forward-looking enough to include TRIM.

This will mean a reinstall of the OS every 2 months so that my SSD doesn't become slower than a normal HDD.
    Linux Registered user 416866

Shaw's Principle: Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Radon View Post
    I'm pissed off that an LTS release isn't forward-looking enough to include TRIM.

This will mean a reinstall of the OS every 2 months so that my SSD doesn't become slower than a normal HDD.
    no-TRIM usage of SSD does slow down your drive, but it's helping you to kill it faster: wear leveling works much worse on non-TRIMed drive as controller doesn't know wich of blocks are not used by system.
    (SSD controller uses free blocks to rotate them lovering wearing of one particular block)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Radon View Post
    Its easy to rectify. Simply install the the linux kernel 2.6.33 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.33/

then viola! you will have trim enabled when you boot with this kernel.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789