Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences with Asus UL30

Beans

Re: Asus UL30 anyone?

Same here:
    Asus UL30A + Ubuntu 9.10 and still not working:

- Touchpad Elantech Smartpad recognised as Logitech Ps\2 mouse

This Touchpad issue is really anoying because you can use synaptics-touchpad capabilities. For example I can change the "sensitivity" of my touchpad and this is pretty anoying when typing and accidentally touching the pad.

Otherwise, everything else works pretty fine after all the workarounds discussed here.

ad

Beans

I read that the Dell Mini 10 (or the Mini 10v, one of them) has an Elantech Smartpad. I believe someone mentioned that Dell ships it out with special software. It would be nice to use the multitouch scrolling.

I may buy a UL30a (or other ULXXa) in the next week.
    -------------------
    The Wombatorium

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a UL30 to use with ubuntu. Can anyone comment on battery life with light/moderate usage?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spacecaps View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking at getting a UL30 to use with ubuntu. Can anyone comment on battery life with light/moderate usage?
    Hi spacecaps,

I get between 8 to 9 hours of battery power, with 7 to 10% remaining when I plug the AC adapter (based upon my experience, Li-Ion batteries really hate going too low on power).

I have Wi-Fi on, the USB receiver of my wireless mouse plugged-in, and use mainly Firefox, Thunderbird, Eclipse, several services (Apache, MySQL), Virtual machines (VirtualBox), and OpenOffice some times.

Neehilo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by neehilo View Post
    Hi spacecaps,

I get between 8 to 9 hours of battery power, with 7 to 10% remaining when I plug the AC adapter (based upon my experience, Li-Ion batteries really hate going too low on power).

I have Wi-Fi on, the USB receiver of my wireless mouse plugged-in, and use mainly Firefox, Thunderbird, Eclipse, several services (Apache, MySQL), Virtual machines (VirtualBox), and OpenOffice some times.

Neehilo
    That's interesting...Asus claims a battery life of 12 hours, however, I'm sure that is an idealized number (no wifi, not really using the computer at all). It would be interesting to see what the "real world" battery life is in Windows...after all, Asus may have some special Windows drivers designed to prolong battery life.

neehilo, there's some kind of physical hardware switch on the UL30 to switch it from "performance mode" to "powersave mode," right? Did that happen to do anything in Linux?

Mg
    It's Lɪ-nʌx and it's not Windows so get on the right plane and don't preach, mention.
    Windows: The evolution of a 32 bit shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit OS coded for a 4 bit CPU by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Beans

Reviews state about 10.5 hours total with wifi on and modest usage. I don't think that I have seen a review state much less than 10 hours unless the screen brightness was up and they were streaming high quality video. The ultimate battery test (DVD watching) won't work on this computer because it lacks a drive.

I have seen reviews state 13+ hours for idle, screen at minimum brightness with wifi off. Remember that the ul30a-x#'s have smaller batteries than the ul30a-a#'s.
    -------------------
    The Wombatorium

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheWombat View Post
    Reviews state about 10.5 hours total with wifi on and modest usage. I don't think that I have seen a review state much less than 10 hours unless the screen brightness was up and they were streaming high quality video. The ultimate battery test (DVD watching) won't work on this computer because it lacks a drive.

I have seen reviews state 13+ hours for idle, screen at minimum brightness with wifi off. Remember that the ul30a-x#'s have smaller batteries than the ul30a-a#'s.
    Ah, I didn't realize that there were different battery sizes in the UL30 line...I'll keep that in mind!

Here Cnet got 6:41 on their video playback test.

Mg
    It's Lɪ-nʌx and it's not Windows so get on the right plane and don't preach, mention.
    Windows: The evolution of a 32 bit shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit OS coded for a 4 bit CPU by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Beans

Also reviews on Windows 7 always show better battery life than Vista and slightly better than XP.

There are three batteries, 4-cell 2200mah, 8-cell 4400mah, 8-cell 5600mah. Up until recently all black models were ul30a-x# series with 4400mah battery and silver models were ul30a-a# series with 5600mah batteries. However, I have seen ul30a-x4 that is silver on newegg and ul30a-a3b on Amazon that is black. It appears that the x series sits flush with the table, but the a series battery sticks out a bit (I cannot confirm this except in pictures.)

I have seen a report that multitouch works by default on an ul80vt in 9.10. It is important to note that the ul80vt switchable graphic card does not work properly in linux. It is currently (and in the foreseeable future) not possible to disable the discrete graphics card in the bios either. No graphics card switching currently works under linux. That may rule out waiting for the ul30vt for linux users.
    -------------------
    The Wombatorium

Beans

Also, they are quoting less battery life for the ul30a-a3b so I'm not 100% sure that the a-series always has the 5600mAh battery. If it comes with the 4400mAh battrey, then I'm not sure how to tell if you are getting the bigger or smaller battery. The battery details aren't always listed in the specs.

This is like when you walk into a car dealship with the EPA mileage stickers for manual transmissions on vehicles with auto (or ever worse: a different engine.)
    -------------------
    The Wombatorium

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Magnesium View Post
    That's interesting...Asus claims a battery life of 12 hours, however, I'm sure that is an idealized number (no wifi, not really using the computer at all). It would be interesting to see what the "real world" battery life is in Windows...after all, Asus may have some special Windows drivers designed to prolong battery life.

neehilo, there's some kind of physical hardware switch on the UL30 to switch it from "performance mode" to "powersave mode," right? Did that happen to do anything in Linux?

Mg
    The 8 to 9 hours I get is with a real use, with very few idle times.

I have the 8 cell 5600mAh battery, and always plug the AC adapter when reaching about 7-10%, which could give quiet 1 hour more. So my "real world" use could last about 10 hours, which I find pretty good.

With Seven, the battery gauge states about 10 hours also, and I don't known if it is accurate since I did not use Seven for so much time.

Of course in Linux you don't have Asus Powergear. I let the energy settings to the default ones, and my screen brightness is usually around 20 to 30 percent.

Neehilo.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast