Thread: Random hard drives to used as a external.

Beans

Random hard drives to used as a external.

Ok it would seem from everyone i have spoken to says that this is unsolvable. but we shall see. I have several very nice 40 gb hard drives. they were originality from a car in-dash navigation unit. I got a external usb case. plugged one in and i get nothing.
    windows tells me when i try to initialize it was an incorrect function. and reformatting in not an option cant even get it to tell me any info about it on the command prompt. Ubuntu tells me error creating partition table: helper exited with code 1 error calling fsync(2) on dev/sdb: input/output error. smart status not uspported. Really i am at a loss. I just want to format it so i can take it around with me. it shouldn't be that difficult to wipe a hard drive regardless on the file system that is on it.
    The one thing that is really getting me is that the Navigation unit says on the set plate "made with technology from the Microsoft corporation"
    Any ideas on how i can access this drive / format it?
    Could they have made the disk read only? and how would i go about making it no longer read only?
    Hitatchi Endurastar 40gb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Random hard drives to used as a external.

Moved to Hardware.