Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba T110/00D woes :'(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Toshiba T110/00D woes :'(

The Toshiba T110/00D doesn't like Ubuntu very much at all. Here are the problems Ubuntu has on it:

1. Wifi doesn't want to work. Its a RealTek RTL8191SE, and no matter what I do (I did all that was on this site and I'm still trying the suggestions on it). I don't know if the driver for the RTL8192SE will work as well, though hopefully Ubuntu 10.04 finally releases a fix for this very annoying problem. Until then, anyone with a RTL8191SE enjoying wireless freedom on Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit, or even better, Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 1 (via LiveUSB)?

2. Screen brightness won't change. Even in the Alpha, it won't change, even after I use the buttons to get it to do so. Funny thing is, notify-OSD comes up with the notifications saying that the screen brightnesses changed. No idea what's happening there . Anyone know how to get this working as well?

3. The webcam doesn't work. And I have no idea how to find out which model it is so I can finally try searching for a fix for it. How would I search to find what the model of the webcam is?

4. I don't think the microphone works either, and its the same situation with the webcam. How do I get it working?

NOTE: I am using an Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit Alpha 1 (fully updated) because its the only Ubuntu I know that has ethernet working (wouldn't work in 9.10). When I eventually install 10.04 onto an SD card, then I'll let you know if there is any progress on any of the above.

EDIT: After a fiasco that almost saw me not being able to access the recovery mode (it didn't come with recovery cd's), I decided to stick with the LiveUSB (until 10.04 is released).

EDIT (again): After realising that I could easily go into recovery mode via the GRUB, I've decided to install Ubuntu onto the lappy sometime soon )
    Last edited by Vignesh S; December 15th, 2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Update on installing Ubuntu onto laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Toshiba T110/00D woes :'(

Anyone out there that has a Toshiba T110 with Ubuntu on it?
    Last edited by Vignesh S; December 16th, 2009 at 08:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Vignesh S View Post
    Anyone out there that has a Toshib T110 with Ubuntu on it?
    Mine's an M200 with a different chipset that I haven't a problem with. Can't help, sorry. Maybe someone else can.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So I'm taking this to be that I'm the only one out there that's actually running Ubuntu Linux on this laptop?

EDIT: Got wifi working in Ubuntu 10.04. Trying to get it to work in 9.10 32-bit
    Last edited by Vignesh S; December 21st, 2009 at 10:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

YAY!! Wifi works Now to fix up that screen brightness issue...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vignesh S View Post
    YAY!! Wifi works Now to fix up that screen brightness issue...
    My function keys brightness settings save for only that single session. To globally affect the laptop, I had to "sudo nvidia-settings" and modify the brightness/gamma to my liking from there. Sorry it isn't more user friendly.
    Desktop 1: Intel i-7 2600K | ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 | nVidia GTX 570 TwinFrozr | 16GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill | HTClaro Omega 7.1
    Laptop: Intel C2Duo T6600 | nVidia GT 230M | 4GB DDR3-1066 | 16" Widescreen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cajual View Post
    My function keys brightness settings save for only that single session. To globally affect the laptop, I had to "sudo nvidia-settings" and modify the brightness/gamma to my liking from there. Sorry it isn't more user friendly.
    Don't worry, I'm quite used to things that aren't quite as user friendly that I'd otherwise be used to.

Problem is, I'm not using a Nvidia card, and there isn't even a way to get the screen brightness to decrease, which is really strange, because:
    1. When I hit the keyboard hotkey, notify-osd comes up with the notification, but nothing happens
    2. There doesn't seem to be a problem with it fading to darkness when the display is blacking out

I really need this fixed up because the increased screen brightness not only sucks the juice out of the batteries, it also burns my eyes out whenever I'm using the laptop in dark places.

I guess this calls for a new thread to finally get this fixed, considering that up to this point, only 90 people have seen this thread...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The screen brightness is now (almost) fixed. I say almost because it doesn't really physically change the screen brightness. Rather, it actually reduces the brightness of each window. Oh well, at least I can also change the brightness of the desktop background so that's almost a full fix anyway

Now for the webcam and microphone. I need these two because I'd like to use Skype in Ubuntu without having to switch over to Windows whenever I'd like to use that.

Beans

If "everything works flawlessly" in windows, why don't you use it instead?
    Ubuntu user since 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
    Please share your experience with your Linux Printer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MyR View Post
    If "everything works flawlessly" in windows, why don't you use it instead?
    Because:

1. Ubuntu is my preferred OS (don't get me wrong, Windows 7 definitely better than XP or Vista) and it takes like 2 minutes to load while Ubuntu only takes 30 seconds from GRUB to fully loaded desktop :-O

2. Because Windows doesn't give me the freedom to do the things I do in Ubuntu, especially customising the looks of it

3. As my signature says, I enjoy the challenges of getting hardware to work in Ubuntu. My year so far with Ubuntu has taught me that it can be fun getting things to work.

Far out, the last two problems don't even matter. Besides, I've got all my software I use in Ubuntu (save for OpenShot and probably a few others) in Windows anyway. My major quibbles with Ubuntu on this laptop are now solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast