Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Samba no longer follows symbolic links

Beans

Samba no longer follows symbolic links

I have been running a samba server for a while now with no issues. The other day I ran apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on my server and samba was updated. Now when I try to access sym links Windows tells me I dont have permission to access those folders. When I try to access them with the terminal it works just fine. Any ideas? Also I am using Windows 7.

EDIT:
    It does the same thing on Xp too.

EDIT V2:
    I have added the following to my smb.conf

follow symlinks = yes
    wide symlinks = yes
    unix extensions = no

Still nothing....
    Last edited by piratebill; March 26th, 2010 at 01:08 AM.

Beans

Re: Samba no longer follows symbolic links

Fixed it. According to http://www.samba.org/samba/news/symlink_attack.html

wide links are now set to no as a default. I changed it back to yes and it works fine now.
    Last edited by piratebill; March 26th, 2010 at 01:26 AM.

Beans

Smile Re: Samba no longer follows symbolic links

Thanks I solved it by opening this file
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Then I put this under the [global] section
    Note: It's "wide links" and not "wide symlinks"
    Code:
    follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes
    unix extensions = no
    Save it and then run this to restart samba.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
    This worked for me.
    Thanks piratebill

Beans

Then I put this under the [global] section
    Note: It's "wide links" and not "wide symlinks"
    Quite right! I followed the same thread and was equally lead astray, but thanks to you and you correction everything is working jolly good.

Thanks

Beans

Worked for me. I just had to listen to the kids whine for 2 days before I broke down and dug for the solution. Now all is well again.

Beans

I was having the same problem with Karmic and the next three lines worked for me:

follow symlinks = yes
    wide symlinks = yes
    unix extensions = no

After an update to Lucid beta 1 it stopped working.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michael_j_w View Post
    Quite right! I followed the same thread and was equally lead astray, but thanks to you and you correction everything is working jolly good.

Thanks
    Thanks, I has wide symlinks too, that fixed it for me.

Are you guys using ubuntu 10.04? I have had samba working in the same nature for years on various ubuntu versions, and I only had to add this in after upgrading to 10.04. If that's the same for you we should get a bug filed on launchpad. This will break existing functionality and might be confusing for new users.

I'm guessing either widelinks was a hard coded default in previous versions of samba, meaning it could be absent from the config file yet still work. Or something else has changed in samba now requiring widelinks.

I've had two user experiences here. At one point my symlinks would show up, but they would have a reported size of 0KB and could not be accessed. Later, I experienced no symlinks being displayed at all.
    I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've never had a problem with this before in ubuntu, but I have had to add those lines to my NAS's smb config
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans

This isn't working for me. My server is Ubuntu 8.10. It has two hdds, each 500GB like so:

/mnt/store <--- first hdd mounted in fstab
    /mnt/store2 <--- second hdd mounted in fstab

On the server, I went to /mnt/store and made a symlink called Video pointing to store2.

sudo ln -s /mnt/store2 Video

"store" works fine on all the PCs on the network, both WinXP and Ubuntu (9.10 and 9.04). But the link 'Video' shows up as both locked and broken. I've set permissions on both hdds to '777' and the owner to nobody:nogroup. I am stumped now.

I've tried the above settings in my smb.conf file. As soon as I try 'unix extensions = no' the Ubuntu client sees all the directories on the server as text files, even the symlink. Double-clicking them tries to load the file instead of changing into the directory.

So what's wrong?

Darryl
    Last edited by dphirschler; March 30th, 2010 at 04:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

SAMBA on my 8.04 development system was updated on March 24th, and the change in "how it works" prevented me from using my "hosted" winxp system to complete some production work.

I found that I had to create (1) new "shares" using Natilus, (2) and add some users to the Linux box to match the Ids from the Windox box, (3) and add some new [share] definitions to smb.conf to get any kind of access to the linux files.

Once I was able to get that to work, I discovered that the Symbolic links no longer worked, so I added the follow symlinks = yes
    command, which did not help.

after more hours of trying things and reading the internet, I found this post.

When I added the wide links = yes
    and unix extensions = no

everything finally worked as I had originally intended (2 years ago), and had originally coded with a lot less lines in smb.conf I am still unable to use my original share definition, so apparently that security update changed a lot of internal behavor.

Thanks for the post, I don't know how long it would have taken me to try the Wide Links option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast