Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: 10.04 broke my fglrx, how do I fix

Tried to remove ATI by the instructions given, got this error:
    dpkg-divert: mismatch on package
    when removing `diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by fglrx'
    found `diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx'
    Then i deleted both /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa and /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 and still got the same error.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 5.10

when i tried removing fglrx in aptitude, i got the same diversion error as younio. i quit aptitude, deactivated fglrx in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf so i could start KDE. now i'm trying the proprietary driver install in jockey in KDE.
    will update if it works.

EDIT: yep, this fixed it for me. glxgears giving 37000 frames using my radeon 2600xt. naturally glxgears is not a benchmark, but i that is high enough to safely know it's working correctly...
    Last edited by jetpeach; April 30th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
    My Blog.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I deleted the usr/share/ati folder with this
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/ati
    then reinstalled fglrx via Synaptic and rebooted, I now have 2 monitors working (clones), but also have 2 ATI CCC in >System>Preferences menu (2 each of normal and admin items)

IF I click on any of them I get
    There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.
    Please install the ATI driver appropriate for you ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig.
    So next I installed the ATI driver via terminal
    with
    Code:
    sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-10-4-x86.x86_64.run
    after rebooting ATI CCC worked - I also went into >System>Preferences>Main Menu and unticked the duplicate entries for normal and admin CCC items.

After rebooting I have 1 desktop spanning 2 monitors, but I'm unable to enable desktop effects (no click title bar to rollup window etc) - I reinstalled Compiz, but that make any difference (all the settings are there, but they just don't work)

Any ideas on how to get Desktop Effects re-enabled ?
    Last edited by charonred; May 1st, 2010 at 01:34 AM.
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans

Help Multi GPU - Mouse and Keyboard Freeze once enabled

Previously on Ubuntu Karmic I had multi GPU setup without a problem.
    System consists of three ATI radeon HD 3600 (multi head) running 6 monitors.

Setting it up was was easy as windows. All I did was download the ati catalyst and issue the following command:
    aticonfig --initial=dual-head --adapter=all

That created the perfect xorg.conf. With the amdcccle desktop, I then rearranged the monitors around to my setup and enabled xinerama. I thus had a total of six monitors working without a problem. (Naturally with compiz turned off).

- UPGRADING TO LUCID BIGGEST MISTAKE -

Well up on my screen, yesterday the update manager popped up Lucid Ubuntu 10.04 Release available. I upgraded. I got the same issue of fglrx.. Reading through Forum I deleted the /usr/share/ati folder. uninstalled the catalyst. Rebooted in safe mode and then re-installed via synatic fglrx and amdcccle. All went well.

I then issued the basic command.

aticonfig --initial -f

This created the standard xorg.conf. On rebooting machine. My first two screens (off the first Radeon HD 3600) worked fine, without a problem. I backed up the xorg.conf file.

I then issued
    aticonfig --initial=dual-head --adapter=all.
    This created the long xorg.conf file for all the cards on the system.
    BUMPER !! Machine reboots and X looks like starting, then all of a sudden my screen shows "Digital Power saving" as the monitors go to sleep. No alternative but to cold turn power off machine and restart.

I tried other ad-hoc methods like starting from the simple xorg.conf from (aticonfig --initial -f) and then proceed under amdcclle to enable the other two ATI HD 3600 cards that show up as disabled.

When I reboot, Computer comes on with X, but the second I try to logon both Mouse and Keyboard just FREEZE.

ANY HELP, ANY ONE, ANY IDEA.

Attached Working Simple Xorg.conf-1 (For one HD 3600)
    Freezing version of Xorg.conf-2 (For the 3 HD 3600 cards)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, i had the same issue reported here, like you i had the latest ati driver installed (i'm playing with opencl, i always keep my driver updated) and during the upgrade from 9.10 fglrx upgrade failed. And this lead here.
    After a few hours of pain now it seems to be fixed (100%working, 2d ok fast, compiz ok, opencl support of the drivers not yet tested).
    Basically i followed this as suggested:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...thRadeonDriver

@Younio:
    Yes, even deleting didn't change anything.
    The procedure i followed got a little messy... i'll try to reconstruct it here, hope it helps:

0- Started with the ati driver installed, crappy performance, no compiz.

1- Got out of the graphical mode, i my case switched to one of the alt+Fn console and killed gdm.

2-
    sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/ati
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf*

3- Just for the sake of documenting the steps, tried the commands from here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...thRadeonDriver

Didn't work at all,various errors, couldn't delete the packages.
    Out of desperation, i tried then to clean-up all the packages cited in that site:

sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
    sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    sudo apt-get purge xorg-driver-fglrx
    sudo apt-get purge libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-x org-core

The last one due to my lack of attention and to the x-org dependencies started deleting a few apps ... stopped.
    This could have deleted something that needed to be updated but this seems improbable.

4-
    sudo apt-get install fglrx
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-dev fglrx-modaliases
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    reboot

5-
    installed the compiz stuff from synaptic

So, i guess that if you skip step 3 you should be ok... if not the solution is in the mess i made at step 3.

@charonred:
    No, compiz works with the standard 10.04 ati driver, all my attempt done with the ati site one were fruitless.
    I suggest you to use a few hour to obtain a system with the ubuntu's fglrx (not the ati site one).
    Also, after the procedure described above i noticed that the compiz manager gui had been updated... the options were grouped in a different way... e.g. cube in the same group of rotate cube.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by MrStark; May 1st, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

Beans

MrStark,

Thanks man, that helped. Always something with the ATI graphics. Now with the new driver, I can't use XBMC anymore. Back with 9.10, I used XBMC to get rid of the video tearing I got with gstreamer apps. The tearing is still present, but the ATI developers muffled it somewhat away. It's hardly noticable, so i'll wait patiently until ATI or the XBMC community comes with a new driver or patch. Again, thanks for the help! Always nice to find some solution on these forums! I still for 1000 times rather take these hassles than going back to the windows platform. Cheers!

Beans

Hi! I followed all the steps given. The only significant thing I can add is that always when removing something the package fglrx was mentioned by apt.get.
    But when doing this:

4-
    sudo apt-get install fglrx
    sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-dev fglrx-modaliases
    *sudo aticonfig --initial*
    reboot

I can't run aticonfig because it was somehow removed among with some other package.

My problem is similar: Seduced by the "Would you like a full upgrade without downloading any iso, torrent, etc. or deleting everything, etc etc" window, I clicked "yes" and got a not working kubuntu-desktop. Tried to install the latest ati driver provided in the web (which to date remains the same, just checked) and nothing... When it comes to the logging in screen, the monitor starts blinking, as if the PC was sleeping or the resolution too high (which I don't think is the problem). All recovery actions were taken from a recovery mode boot. BTW, I noticed it's kind of unsafe: you can log as root without typing any passwords!

Thanks for every bit of effort you are all leaving here.

Regards,

Nicolás

----------
    ADDED 30' later: Don't know how... but kubuntu DID boot... is my PC charmed? Obviously Catalyst is not installed; guess I'll have to wait until a new driver release from ATI's webpage.
    Last edited by NicoAdamo; May 1st, 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

MrStark, and others, thanks for all that. I'll try it later to see if I can get it working again as my system crapped out again and only runs in 'low graphic' mode now.

It's not such a problem though as I had it up and running enough to run some apps and generate a few files I needed. I am now booting to another disk running a clean install of 10.04 which I've migrated my email, browser and other essential apps to. I also have a backup of my Home folder on an external drive, so can get any data I need from that after I nuke the 9.10/10.04 drive.

I'll do clean installs from now on, no more 'upgrade' installs!

On the upside, the clean install 10.04 boots fast; it's installed an a new WD 500 GB Black drive and from POST to working desktop boots in 35 seconds ! Damn that's fast ... and Shutdown takes just 5 seconds - Eat my dust ******* !
    Last edited by charonred; May 2nd, 2010 at 12:35 AM.
    Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 m/board + 3.0Ghz Phenom II X4 945 CPU + 4GB DDR2 RAM + Sapphire HD5770 1GB video + 1 pata & 3 sata drives (2000 GB) + 2 DVD burners + 2 x 19" LCD monitors ... July'08 -XP +Hardy, Dec'09 +Karmic, May'10 +Lucid

Beans

Problem: On installation of the fglrx package, this error arises:
    E: /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx_2%3a8.723.1-0ubuntu3_i386.deb: subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Here are the steps to solve this problem.

First, download the ati catalyst drivers from here. (release date: 10.4)

Now, uninstall the fglrx packages first. Then, go where you downloaded the drivers and execute the installer. Next, remove the /usr/share/ati folder. Now you can install the fglrx package from the synaptics installer or from the terminal.

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx* 
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati 
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    $ sudo sh ati-driver-installer-10-4-x86.x86_64.run 
    $ sudo rm -rf /usr/share/ati
    $ sudo apt-get install fglrx

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast