Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ATI Radeon Mobility X1400....help (10.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: ATI Radeon Mobility X1400....help (10.04)

ok so I reinstalled 10.04 (was easier than removing all the drivers and libs and etc that I piled into it while trying to fix the issue).

then sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    pasted radeon.modeset=0 into GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

so it will look like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.modeset=0"

saved it and sudo update-grub

reboot and it looks like the issue has been solved, no need to install anything else.

Note: if the grub is updated later you will have to go in and add radeon.modeset=0 again.

P.S. When i had gallium 3D installed this fix screwed up the video driver completely and thus I decided to reinstall the system instead of trying to remove it
    Last edited by gillza; May 26th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by clhsharky View Post
    gaalaaant

Can you past me one more thing before you start?
    System/Administration/Log file viewer/Xorg.0.log

Install ia32-libs in repos for better compatibility.
    This has nothing to do with kernel, its for 32bit apps in a 64 OS.

Were installing kernel 2.6.34.rc6, its what was recommended for the xrandr fixes and its more laptop friendly "dynamic PM, better wifi drivers".

you will need these 3 deb downloaded
    installed 1 at a time
    in this order
    linux-headers-2.6.34-020634rc6_2.6.34-020634rc6_all.deb
    linux-headers-2.6.34-020634rc6-generic_2.6.34-020634rc6_amd64.deb
    linux-image-2.6.34-020634rc6-generic_2.6.34-020634rc6_amd64.deb

from here
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ekernel-p....34-rc6-lucid/

then restart

You may need radeon.dynpm=1 in the boot string to enable dynamic PM with a 2.6.34 kernel.

While installing debs if it asks you about config choose the one you have.
    Has drop down box. We don't want to mess up your duel boot.
    We will start with kernel before moving on to drivers.
    It worked perfect for me regarding dual monitors but then I completely lost my wireless. The problem is in the bcmwl-kernel-source. It can not make configuration. I found a solution suggesting to remove both bcmwl-kernel-source and dkms and then make a new install of bcmwl but the problem is that the bcmwl wants the dksm to be installed.

I've found a post for this specific problem but there is no solution so far.

I found also other suggested solutions but none is working

Anyone out there who know the solution?

Beans

I got the same issue,
    after kernel update I lost all my network connection
    Somebody knows How to fix It?

P.S. I found the solution for my network issue http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=11
    Last edited by matros_ua; June 2nd, 2010 at 09:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by matros_ua View Post
    I got the same issue,
    after kernel update I lost all my network connection
    Somebody knows How to fix It?

P.S. I found the solution for my network issue http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=11
    I didn't try this solution but I made a made a new installation of 10.04 and then I corrected the problem with the monitor on the basis of the following post:
    http://www.niccolofavari.com/ubuntu-...ti-radeon-card

Monitor works fine now and I have wireless. The problem is though that the 2.6.34-020364rc7 kernel is much faster than the 2.6.32-22. But with the 2.6.34 I had the problem with the wireless.

So now my problem is that the boot and login time is very slow

Beans

This thread helped me a little, so I thought I'd contribute with my system info, in case someone else stumbles by this thread.

I'm using an ATI Radeon Mobility X1200 (or x1250). I had the same problem as the OP, the external monitor had a very wavy and wiggly image. And this wavyness varied depending on the resolution and frequency I set for it. Installing the new kernels fixed it almost completely, the wavyness was almost completely gone. I then clicked the Autoset button on the side of my monitor, and now the wavyness is gone completely.

The kernels screwed up my wireless unfortunately. I had to manually install a broadcom STA wireless driver back when I first installed 10.04. After installing these new kernels, the broadcom STA driver is no longer activated, and trying to activate it results in error messages. I'll try to download and install it again, if I don't post back it means it didn't work.
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."(M. Ghandi)

Beans

Reporting back. Trying to recompile the makefile for the driver failed miserably. Fortunately, the modules I was using previously were still in the system. I got everything working with the following modprobes:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -i ssb
    sudo modprobe -i lib80211
    sudo modprobe -i b43
    Obviously this are specific to my wireless card (broadcom BCM4312).
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."(M. Ghandi)

Beans

Guys - been experiencing some problems with this display adapter also also... I installed 10.04 a few days back and have planned to migrate completely from windows.

But yesterday, and today, while using my laptop, the display has gone really funny colours, like almost static-y in some places, as over time it just degrades away to almost nothing, like when you take a full colour JPEG and reduce it to a 4 colour gif (if that makes any sense)

One thing to note (although I havent tested for 100% certainty) is that this is maybe happening after I have used some piece of flash on the web, like youtube or a flash chat box.

Kind of a pain - I was wondering if any of you had solved your X1400 problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had this same problem (Radeon X1400 Mobility -> flickering and lack of usability).

I fixed it by upgrading to the 2.6.34-020634rc7-generic Kernel. Of course, this then broke my wireless (ath5k module for Atheros 5212). I fixed the wireless by switching to the Madwifi driver. If you need help doing any of this yourself (or figuring out if it applies to you), feel free to PM me.

(Another way to fix the wireless was to choose a different kernel at startup via GRUB: that is, to use 2.6.22 when I need wireless, and 2.6.34rc7 when I only need wired internet. However, this was also a problem, because Skype crashed on 2.6.22.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by matthazley View Post
    Guys - been experiencing some problems with this display adapter also also... I installed 10.04 a few days back and have planned to migrate completely from windows.

But yesterday, and today, while using my laptop, the display has gone really funny colours, like almost static-y in some places, as over time it just degrades away to almost nothing, like when you take a full colour JPEG and reduce it to a 4 colour gif (if that makes any sense)

One thing to note (although I havent tested for 100% certainty) is that this is maybe happening after I have used some piece of flash on the web, like youtube or a flash chat box.

Kind of a pain - I was wondering if any of you had solved your X1400 problems?
    I am not sure if our problems are similar but I did have issues with my card and my screen going all staticish on me and freezing. I solved it by modifying boot parameters:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=41

Beans

I have this same graphics card and I installed the .34 kernel. The flickering seems to have stopped. However. I still cannot change any settings when I go into monitor preferences and when I try to use a dual screen (external monitor) the monitor flickers. I only see one monitor and it shows unknown, so its not recognizing my laptop (t60) monitor or the external. I can only use 5:4 and my entire laptop monitor space is not being used. Everything worked fine in Karmic, but now that I have Lucid I am having this issue. Can anyone tell me how to fix it.. I am a noob and don't really understand yet.

Update- the flickering has stopped on my second monitor, but when I go into monitor setting i still only see one monitor that shows unknown. The second monitor is only a clone if first and I can't set up the extended desktop like i did in karmic
    Last edited by jimmyUT; June 24th, 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: update

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast