Quote Originally Posted by jimmyUT View Post
I have this same graphics card and I installed the .34 kernel. The flickering seems to have stopped. However. I still cannot change any settings when I go into monitor preferences and when I try to use a dual screen (external monitor) the monitor flickers. I only see one monitor and it shows unknown, so its not recognizing my laptop (t60) monitor or the external. I can only use 5:4 and my entire laptop monitor space is not being used. Everything worked fine in Karmic, but now that I have Lucid I am having this issue. Can anyone tell me how to fix it.. I am a noob and don't really understand yet.
I am no expert but I can try to help. One possible reason for your problem, is that you might have a badly configured xorg.conf file. This file is unnecessary, but (if present) it is used to configure your display settings.

Read all the way before trying it.

This file is located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
To hide it from the system, without deleting it, do the following:
Code:
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup
You'll have to type in your password.

If the terminal complains "No such file or directory", than you're not using any xorg.conf file (that's ok) and so it is not the source of your problems.

If the terminal doesn't say anything, than the operation succeeded. Reboot and see what happens.

Now here's the disclaimer: This operation shouldn't give you any problems, but if you reboot and the screen is completely unusable for some reason, here's how you can revert the change we made:

Reboot again, this time pick "Recovery" on the grub menu. Login with your username and password. You'll be given a command line, type the following:
Code:
sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf_backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
This will get you the file you had before. Just reboot again.