Thread: ATi Display no longer detected after update

Beans

ATi Display no longer detected after update

Hello all

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, and after I installed a batch of updates, I restarted the computer and it gave me the low graphics mode window, and said that it couldn't detect any input from the display. I tried the option to start it in low graphics mode and it just tells me to wait while the X restarts I think, and then eventually it shows the same window with a full bar and I have to click 'OK' as the cancel button is grayed out and there's no other options, and then I'm just left with a blinking cursor in the top left of my screen. I can shutdown fine and I can login using the terminal kinda access (basically no GUI).

I have an ATi HD3200 and I was using the default driver that installs with Ubuntu, not fglrx.

Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry about the vague description of my problem, if no one can help using this description I'll give more details another day and post the logs.
    Last edited by milesbh; June 16th, 2010 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ATi Display no longer detected after update

Im still reletively new myself, but, when I updated from 9.10 to 10.04 nvidia was messed up. I uninstalled the drivers completely and reinstalled. Im still happy.

Beans

Well I have no idea how to reinstall the open source drivers. I would do that if I could but I don't know how. Do you know how or where I can find a guide that tells me how?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When my drivers messed up, it still gave me an option to start in low graphics mode, sometimes it would just bring me to a terminal where I would type 'startx'.

Then, goto system>administration>hardware drivers and remove the driver. reboot and goto the same place and re-install it.

Funny thing tho, after I un-installed the driver, my next boot did not have problems, as in: it didnt ask me if I wanted to start in low graphics mode.

EDIT: Perhaps This can help.
    Last edited by dwel; June 16th, 2010 at 11:35 PM.

Beans

I also experienced the same problem this morning. I went to ATI website to download the latest driver (10.06), uninstalled my previous driver (10.04), restarted the machine, installed the latest one. and then it is all set. hope it helps.