Thread: editing xorg.conf

Beans

editing xorg.conf

Hello, I recently found an old slot-loading iMac G3 at garage sale for only $12. I had always wanted to try ubuntu on a computer but I never really had one to just fool around with so I decided to try ubuntu 12.04 on it. Once I installed it, the graphics were really glitchy. i installed from a guide specificly for G3s and it said that there is a conflict with the graphics card and you have to edit /ect/X11/xorg.conf. On my laptop, I created a .conf file of what xorg should be and put it onto a flash drive. i tried to just drag it over to replace the old file but I didn't have permission to edit the folder.
    I spent a while looking up soultions and learning basic terminal skills. Whenever I try to gedit the file it shows up blank. using the cd command I found out the computer couldnt find the ect directory at all.
    I am a complete noob with the os and was just wondering what I could do to get this working. Thanks!
    -jackson

Beans

Re: editing xorg.conf

Hello and welcome to the forum

The directory you are looking for is /etc not /ect

Note that since it's a system directory you will need to use sudo in your terminal command to copy files there (or gksudo nautilus if you are doing it via the GUI file manager)

Beans

That is seriously the most stupid thing i have ever done. Lol i spent 2 hours on this. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please mark the thread 'solved'.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.