Thread: Crossover

Beans

Crossover

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone uses Codeweavers CrossOver Linux program? I love it as i can easily run windows programs on my ubuntu cinnamon remix distro. It works like a charm. There is a cost to it, but it supports the developers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Crossover

I just installed it on trial. Seems easy to instell/setup, although there were permission problems at first. Trying to install Windows printer software but the printer isn't seen. But that's a network problem I think ( https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2483384 )
    Last edited by oygle; January 28th, 2023 at 11:03 PM.

Beans

Did you try playonlinux? It lets you use multiple versions of wine so it is easier to overcome compatibility issues than if you just have stock wine installed.

Edited: ok just figured out it is an old thread. OP is not likely to respond.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Did you try playonlinux? It lets you use multiple versions of wine so it is easier to overcome compatibility issues than if you just have stock wine installed.
    Thanks, I may try it. I know your post was to the OP, but I'm not entirely okay with Crossover.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm enough of a curmudgeon that I will cussedly wrestle with WINE and get it working in most cases. But then, I don't really run anything mission critical on WINE, so the occasional suboptimal app is not that big a deal.

As for multiple versions of WINE, I find that a combination of containers and WINE prefixes work quite nicely for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jrbassett View Post
    Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone uses Codeweavers CrossOver Linux program? I love it as i can easily run windows programs on my ubuntu cinnamon remix distro. It works like a charm. There is a cost to it, but it supports the developers.

I used it in the past. Now switched back to Wine.

Beans

I'm late to the dialogue here but Crossover will save you from Wine headaches. Actually ran my tax software on it running 16.04LTS. There's a slight learning curve but works well for Win apps.

Cheers