Thread: 2009 iMac running ubuntu has 4 duplicated screens that are unreadable. Please help!

Beans

2009 iMac running ubuntu has 4 duplicated screens that are unreadable. Please help!

I just installed linux 22.04 on this mac and it is stuck in this terrible state. I have tried booting to grub but that isn't working. When I started it in safe graphics mode it worked fine. After installing, it went back to the messed up graphics. How can I either fix the screens or keep it in safe graphics mode?

Keep in mind that it is impossible to read the screen.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 2009 iMac running ubuntu has 4 duplicated screens that are unreadable. Please he

Three things might be helpful here:

1. The make and model of the GPU.

2. The driver you installed.

3. An image of the screen.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Re: 2009 iMac running ubuntu has 4 duplicated screens that are unreadable. Please he

I looked it up and I think the gpu is AMD Radeon Pro5300

https://imgur.com/a/CTuyXKT <--Link to image

When I installed I said yes to third party drivers. The install was on safe graphics mode and looked perfect.
    Last edited by ewnotouch; June 19th, 2023 at 08:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The AMD Radeon Pro 5300 came out in 2020. Your machine in a 2009. Are you sure that is the correct GPU?

Would you please post the results of

Code:
     lspci | grep VGA
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

It is VERY hard to read but I think it says
    VGA compatible controller : Advanced Micro devices inc. AMD/ATI RV730:M96-XT [mobility radeon HD 4670]