Thread: Linux Mascot, TUX

Beans

Linux Mascot, TUX

Please forgive me if this is not the place to post my discovery.
    Perhaps someone could advise me where to post my findings.
    I recently visited The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in Canada where I was given a "Tux CIBC" Mascot.
    I discovered that CIBC is using Linus Torvalds Trademarked Mascot, "Tux" to advertise their products.
    I took a picture of Tux with the CIBC logo and the product they are advertising, "Vantage" embossed on Tux's chest.
    I also found "CIBC Tux" on the internet.
    In my mind, this is sacrilege because it goes completely against the principles of Linux.
    The CIBC keychain is shown on the internet at the URL indicated below.
    https://www.malak.ca/blog/blogpictures/tuxkeychain.png
    Last edited by upchucky; 1 Week Ago at 01:06 PM.
    Ubuntu 23.10 Gazelle System76 Intel Core i7-9750 2.6GHz
    Nvidia TU116 GeForce 1660 Ti Mobile 2x2 TB SSD 65GB Ram
    User Error?...Replace User!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Linux Mascot, TUX

The General Help sub-forum is for seeking technical help for problems with your *Ubuntu system. Thread moved to The Cafe.

The link you intended to include appears to be missing.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Re: Linux Mascot, TUX

Quote Originally Posted by upchucky View Post
    Please forgive me if this is not the place to post my discovery.
    Perhaps someone could advise me where to post my findings.
    I recently visited The Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in Canada where I was given a "Tux CIBC" Mascot.
    I discovered that CIBC is using Linus Torvalds Trademarked Mascot, "Tux" to advertise their products.
    I took a picture of Tux with the CIBC logo and the product they are advertising, "Vantage" embossed on Tux's chest.
    I also found "CIBC Tux" on the internet.
    In my mind, this is sacrilege because it goes completely against the principles of Linux.
    The CIBC keychain is shown on the internet at the URL indicated below.
    https://www.malak.ca/blog/blogpictures/tuxkeychain.png
    It certainly looks close enough to possibly constitute a trademark violation. Then again, it may have been licensed? Perhaps best to contact Torvalds about it...