Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

Beans

Re: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

Can someone post a 64bit apci-cpufreq.ko for kernel 2.6.27-7 ? 64bit please~~

I tried to compiled it for a whole night, but couldnot work it out.

Many Thanks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This sounds great.

One thing I'm wondering, though: when on AC, can I automatically switch to a higher voltage? I don't particularly mind about heat: the cooling on this laptop is fantastic. If I'm on AC anyway, I want to get the most out of my CPU.

Is there a way to do this?
    I don't really mind, and it's starting to get to me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by patrickfromspain View Post
    I'm running latest intrepid kernel (2.6.27-5-generic) succesfully with the phc extensions, and also was running 2.6.27-4-generic.

How I did? First I moved the acpi-cpufreq.ko original module to acpi-cpufreq.ko-original, then installed the linux-phc package from here http://ppa.launchpad.net/bonniot-use...n/l/linux-phc/ and rebooted.

After rebooting you can run sudo linux-phc-install and reboot, it should work fine. After that I removed the linux-phc package, since it seemed to give out an error when installed.

If I didn't move the acpi-cpufreq.ko module out of the way it gave me an error.

Hope it helps
    With linux kernel 2.6.27-7 in 64-bit Intrepid still gives me an error, and I've been unsuccessful in compiling... I went through all the steps prior to the reboot without any errors, and when I run
    Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls
    I get:

Code:
    cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls: No such file or directory
    Also, when I enter
    Code:
    lsmod | grep acpi_cpufreq
    Nothing happens. It just gives another blank prompt, as if I hadn't asked for anything.

But when I restore the backup copy and reboot, I get normal values again.

By the way, I'm using an Lenovo X61T with the latest release of Intrepid (kernel 2.6.27-7).
    Last edited by sarah.fauzia; October 26th, 2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Add pertinent information

Beans

I also tried to compile it on 64 bit but was not successful. Anyone here have ahd success yet? If so, please post the compiled version for us.

Thanks!!!

Beans

Smile Re: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

The compilation on a 64bit system works well with this how-to : http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Prozessorspannung_absenken (link on the first post)

command isn't the same as in this forum. This works :
    Code:
    cd arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/
    make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build SUBDIRS=$(pwd) modules
    And I post the result.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by landal View Post
    The compilation on a 64bit system works well with this how-to : http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Prozessorspannung_absenken (link on the first post)

command isn't the same as in this forum. This works :
    Code:
    cd arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/
    make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build SUBDIRS=$(pwd) modules
    And I post the result.
    Sir, very kind of you. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I couldn't find the compiled module for the latest Hardy kernel (2.6.24-21-generic), so I compiled it myself. Here it is:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I am not sure why when I run the optimize script... it starts and goes all the way to -1 and stops. It throws line 161 printf error and says 0 is lowest VID, run the test again. But if I run again it complains about WRONG VID COUNT.

Help?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pardes3 View Post
    I am not sure why when I run the optimize script... it starts and goes all the way to -1 and stops. It throws line 161 printf error and says 0 is lowest VID, run the test again. But if I run again it complains about WRONG VID COUNT.

Help?

Thanks
    honestly how i finally did it was use RMclock in windows xp to find the best voltage, then translated it into the vids i got from the script (i wrote them down)
    "The quieter you are, the more you hear" (in boot splash for BT3)
    Dell Vostro 1500 with Core 2 Duo T5270, 2GB DDR2 667 RAM, 120GB 5400RPM HDD , nVidia GeForce 8400mGS, Debian Sid &Ubuntu Hardy & Intrepid

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, the compiled module for 64-bit works, but I think my case might be unique...

Code:
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls
    10:36 9:25 6:21 136:11
    I get a VID for my first frequency of 0. I took the precaution and used 1 instead. However, when I echo it, my computer freezes, and when I added it to my startup in /etc/rc.local, my computer becomes unbootable and the screen strangely dark (though I connected it to the AC). Removing it from /etc/rc.local with the root terminal fixes the problem (though I was scared for a few minutes there!) Does that mean I can't undervolt my processor?

I have a Lenovo X61T, running Ubuntu Intrepid, 64-bit.

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast