Thread: Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 not working

Beans

Question Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 not working

I recently used wine to install the program Dragon Naturally Speaking by Nuance. The install seemed to go alright but when I try to open the program it shows the startup screen and then nothing happens. An icon appears on the panel briefly showing thats its running, but then it dissapears. I'm not sure if this is a common thing or not but any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 not working

Sorry, I don't have a solution; I have the same problem, using Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 Preferred and WINE 1.0 on Hardy. WineHQ shows a success test ("silver") for DragonNS 10 Standard (not Preferred) and using WINE 1.0-rc5, so I assume we're going something wrong.

Beans

I found this problem was fixed by installing "gdiplus" via winetricks. Get the winetricks script from kegel.com/wine/winetricks and run:

sh winetricks gdiplus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

now you need fontfix too, so the command is:

sh winetricks gdiplus fontfix

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Ament View Post
    Sorry, I don't have a solution; I have the same problem, using Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 Preferred and WINE 1.0 on Hardy. WineHQ shows a success test ("silver") for DragonNS 10 Standard (not Preferred) and using WINE 1.0-rc5, so I assume we're going something wrong.
    Nah, silver just meant that it was capable of running for about 10 minutes before crashing. I'm not sure what the current status of DNS is.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

It should also be mentioned that this sort of application would have limited if ANY use in a Linux environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    It should also be mentioned that this sort of application would have limited if ANY use in a Linux environment.
    Really? Thinking of trying out Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 as I'm having difficulties typing. Only need to be able to dictate text (emails, reports, articles, etc.) and have it appear on screen in a text editor - nothing fancy. Any reason why this wouldn't work in Ubuntu? I understand that people have successfully installed previous versions of NaturallySpeaking with Wine?

Any thoughts/suggestions on this would be very much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    Uh, why not? Are people with physical disabilities which limit their ability to type rapidly or at all not welcome in a Linux environment? Are doctors and other medical professionals who can and do use DNS to dictate reports of all kinds not welcome in Linux? Is anyone who writes anything other than short, simple paragraphs and could do so more speedily with DNS not welcome? And how do we explain the recent move of the makers of DNS (Nuance) into the Mac environment and market?

I'm sorry but I find your statement above unimaginative and too limiting for me.
    Cheerily Yours,
    Tim_Olaguna

Locked. This thread does not need to be revived.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine