Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error: Invalid environment block

Beans

Post Error: Invalid environment block

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala BETA, GNome

Downloded it fresh off of Ubuntu's main site

Have done a fresh install three times, Ubuntu's the primary OS

Upon boot-up GRUB makes a sad attempt to load, but fails in turn and gives me this message

Error: Invalid environment block

This has happened 3 times already!

Help, and thanks to anyone who helps

Beans

Question Re: Error: Invalid environment block

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Error: Invalid environment block

When your GRUB2 menu is up
    Press e to edit grub
    Remove the line save_env recordfail
    Press TAB
    Press CTRL+X to boot

HTH

Larry

Beans

Same thing just happened to me on a normal boot an hour after a normal shutdown.

The grub menu fix won't work because it's grub giving the error BEFORE there's a menu. Hitting any key just gets a repeat of the error. G2 borked itself.

Does anybody know recovery procedures for grub2?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Akita View Post
    Same thing just happened to me on a normal boot an hour after a normal shutdown.

The grub menu fix won't work because it's grub giving the error BEFORE there's a menu. Hitting any key just gets a repeat of the error. G2 borked itself.

Does anybody know recovery procedures for grub2?
    Boot off the install CD and mount the drive so you can edit the file.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Karmic developers have made a real mistake by not making a visible grub menu the default. You need to get to a command prompt and edit this file:
    /etc/default/grub
    with vi - since you won't have a GUI, you won't be able to use gedit or kate
    Find this line:
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    and edit it to look like this
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    and save the file.
    The you need to run:
    update-grub
    to get the grub2 menu to come up.
    If you can't do that with your current configuration, you'll have to use a live CD and chroot to update your grub.

HTH Larry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post 3 just worked for me.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by drfox View Post
    Karmic developers have made a real mistake by not making a visible grub menu the default. You need to get to a command prompt and edit this file:
    /etc/default/grub
    with vi - since you won't have a GUI, you won't be able to use gedit or kate
    Find this line:
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    and edit it to look like this
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    and save the file.
    The you need to run:
    update-grub
    to get the grub2 menu to come up.
    If you can't do that with your current configuration, you'll have to use a live CD and chroot to update your grub.

HTH Larry
    This is a real disappointment which provides no usable option for me, apparently. I was trying to test 9.10 beta via VirtualBox when it starting throwing up this error upon every attempt to boot. Since VirtualBox drives are not "real" drives but *.vdi files I can figure no way to access and edit any files on the "test drive"; much less grub files. What a pain.

Update: I ended up deleting the whole installation and reinstalling. It seems to be coming up fine now whenever I boot up. BUT: The one thing I have not done so far is run "Search For Updates". Choosing that option now at best offers only a partial update. I believe it was doing only a partial update after my previous installation that brought on the boot failures described in notes above. I'll wait a few days before trying to another update. And then only do so if it provides a complete, rather than only partial, update of files.

Update 2: I waited a couple of days then tried a fresh boot of my VirtualBox install. It would not boot at all. Went back to the bad behavior described by others above. Remember, since this is an install on a virtual drive (a *.vdi file) instead of a real hard drive I can find NO WAY to get in and edit any grub files as suggested by some. Thus there is no way to remove the line "save_env recordfail".

My conclusion: the Beta is crap. Designed poorly to fail. Too bad. The earlier alphas at least enabled you to boot consistently when testing virtual installs. No way am I installing this on a hard drive or upgrading my existing hard-drive-based 9.04 Ubuntu system to 9.10 until this really bad bug is fixed. If it doesn't test well on a virtual install it doesn't get installed permanently on a hard drive.
    Last edited by Tim_Olaguna; October 11th, 2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Updated Information
    Cheerily Yours,
    Tim_Olaguna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I encountered the same problem. It boot successfully again to my desktop environment after removing the line "save_env recordfail".

But what's happened to this problem?! or can i add the line back afterwards?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The "save_env..." line is added back after i execute update-grub2 and it boot normally afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast