Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab/ cannot yet be mounted (Karmic)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab/ cannot yet be mounted (Karmic)

Hi everybody,
    I'm opening a new thread as here
    http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8178645
    because it looks like that other people is still dealing with this problem.
    I did a fresh installation of Karmic with single boot, no encryption. Full disk to Karmic.
    During boot I get the message
    Code:
    One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab
    I also checked this post
    http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showpo...8&postcount=14
    and mountall is 1.0 but the problem still persist.
    Since I'm not the only one having it and I have installed the offical release of Karmic (not beta or rc) and it is up to date, IMHO this thread should stay open until a workaround or a solution by Ubuntu team is available.
    Thanks is advance for any help!
    Think

Beans

Re: One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab/ cannot yet be mounted (Karmic)

Same issue here.

I did a fresh install of Karmic and now I get the "One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab" message at boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab/ cannot yet be mounted (Karmic)

I get the same error, it seems harmless, as my laptop boots fine afterwards, but what is causing it? What check is done that throws this error, why is it an error?

Hopefully, since Ubuntu is Open Source, we'll be able to get answers to these questions!
    My Blog : http://shanetuohy.com
    Linux Counter #425464 ------- Ubuntu Counter # 7082
    Beware of blindly copying and pasting into the terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: One or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab/ cannot yet be mounted (Karmic)

Upon an in-place upgrade from 9.04 my machine shut off when I rebooted I received

One or more mounts listed in /etc/fstab cannot yet be mounted

/ : waiting for /dev/disk/b4-uuid/.......
    /tmp : waiting for null
    /swap : waiting for uuid.......

It will not boot at all beyond this.

The first two upgrades (laptop 32bit and desktop alternate lvm) went flawlessly.
    This last one won't boot.

How can I fix it or, at least, save existing / mount?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I get this message to, listing all my partitions....

and it takes terribly long to boot, I'm really not happy with this change, it takes at least a minute longer than to boot with jaunty.

The rumours were that karmic should be faster

Beans
    Hidden!

Following a fresh install of Karmic I also got this warning during boot. With the warning my machine did boot successfully.

One of my partitions is fat32. I followed the suggestion here
    http://creativeinstantia.blogspot.co...buntu-910.html
    and got rid of the warning by editing /etc/fstab. I only changed the one fat32 line in /etc/fstab.

I'm not entirely comfortable disabling fsck on this partition. It seems likely that this workaround hides an underlying issue.

Beans

I discovered this problem when trying to play Youtube vids in movieplayer and got a mountpoint error and vids wouldn't load. If I killed totem and restarted it then the vids load so the mountpoint issue must have gotten resolved in the kill.

I then tied it in with the startup error that this thread refers to but I have suffered no major problems and Karmic boots normally and very quickly after the message appears.

I don't want to start mucking with fstab but will wait for a real fix.

Beans

Sorry, I wanted to link the thread I started though it's not resolved....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=1#post8214457

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

After latest Ubuntu updates I'm not getting that message any more
    Think

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'll just chime in and say, yes I get the same error. My laptop loads and all, but it looks like it has to reboot itself 3 or 4 times just to get to the login screen, thus making my bootup time 4 times longer!! This really sucks.. argh.. Even Jaunty was faster.

The error itself seems to be having a problem mounting the /home partition (/dev/sda4) then reboots until it does work, which it eventually does. The UUID for the partition seems to be unknown to Karmic and like grub, maybe it just needs to be updated. So I tried update-grub but I still get the UUID error in the /etc/fstab. No dice. Grub 1.5 is used but I don't know if that's relevant or not.

Q.Is there a grub command to check the UUIDs?

Here's what happens as far as I can tell;
    On bootup, it flashes the grub menu, shows the OS list, counts down then shows hd(1,0) line at the top, but blinks this two or three times, then goes black, opens white ubuntu symbol, then gets error, then goes back to the hd(1,0) point again, then loads xsplash, then finally the login window. Yeesh

Q. Why are there two different ubuntu graphics used on bootup?
    Q. Where can I view the message that the initial white graphic error displays? dmesg and /var/log/messages didn't have the fstab error listed.
    Q. Is there already a Launchpad ticket on this for ubuntu? That's where to put this issue for developers to see, and act on it.
    Last edited by ubunny; November 5th, 2009 at 06:18 PM.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast