Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: File transfer to USB key too slow in Karmic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

File transfer to USB key too slow in Karmic.

I am using Karmic 64 bit in my laptop. The time that takes to transfer files to my USB drives takes almost 20 times more than it used to take in Jaunty. Sometimes after waiting for a long time of transfering it will simply give a error message or the file will simply will not get transferred. Yesterday I tried to transfer a 700MB (90 mins) avi file, i had to wait for almost 20 minutes for it to get transferred and when I tried to watch it in another computer it played only the first 2 mins of the file. Is there any known bug that I can fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: File transfer to USB key too slow in Karmic.

I'm having this problem too. It takes a long, long time to copy large files to a USB memory stick.

Anyone have any fixes for this?

I've also noticed that latency goes through the roof when the speed slows down.
    Last edited by MidBSD; November 24th, 2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Extra information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The transfer starts fast like at 20 MB/sec and slows down with time to around 50 KB/sec. So the first half of the file gets copied in 2 minutes and the second half takes another 15 minutes. Yesterday I tried copying it to a external hard drive and it works perfectly well.

Beans

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 32 bits.And When I copy a file from Pc to external Hard drive, the first 123 MO are really fast fast, theb it stops completely.
    Any idea???
    If i copy any file under 122/123 Mo is is fine but bigger than , it is just stop

Beans

I've got the same issue. Sandisk Cruzer 8GB won't let me transfer any larger 100MB+ files without slowing to a crawl.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: File transfer to USB key too slow in Karmic.

I am experiencing exactly the same as you guys.

I had ubuntu jaunty on a Thinkpad T30 and USB file transfers were executed perfectly.

Recently I moved to Karmic (fresh install) and now USB file transfers are PAINFULLY slow.

I find it very frustrating and any help will be VERY WELCOMED.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

I don't think there is any general usb mass storage issue for 9.10. Yesterday I transferred several iso files between laptop & usb and desktop & usb (WD Passport). And I have been trying numerous Ubuntu variations from 4 GB USB stick. I even put bootable 64-bit 9.10 on 2 GB Lexar microSD.

One thing I did notice is that the inexpensive Sandisk Cruzer that I normally leave on my BluRay player was incredibly slow to boot a live/install iso. It took about twice as long as my HP USB stick. It must have something to do with U3 encryption which is some sort of firmware psuedo CD that shows up as an additional sr device automounted as cdrom even if the stick is wiped and repartitioned and formatted. So even microSD in a card reader boots much faster than a Cruzer.

So I would avoid using a Sandisk Cruzer for a bootable system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I seem to experience similar problems. It might be have something to do with the ubuntu copy dialog system since this always happens when copying with nautilus. But when I copy with midnight commander or simply cp, I get nice and stable 15MB/s speed.

I'm using 64bit karmic too. I don't think I had this problem on jaunty.
    Last edited by Aperculum; December 2nd, 2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added more info

Beans

I'm also having this problem on 64 bit Karmic. It seems to have got worse recently. Today i tried different USB sticks and an SD card in a USB connected reader, all with speeds starting fast then slowing to a crawl. In the end I used Dolphin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Same problem here!

I must say it's infuriating trying to copy mass data at +/- 1MB/second.

It's obviously happening to a number of people - we're not dreaming it.

I have Transcend, Corsair and Kingston USB sticks. Same problem with all of them. Also, same problem with my Western Digital and Hitachi USB hard disks.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast