Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run windows apps on ubuntu

Beans

Run windows apps on ubuntu

I am trying to install wine to run windows apps in ubuntu. I am getting the error "Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages." after I run the command "sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable". It is also important to note that I am using the "try ubuntu option" when booting from a usb so I do not have ubuntu installed on my computer. I am planning to make the switch from windows to ubuntu I just want to learn the desktop version of ubuntu and make sure all of my apps work before I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Run windows apps on ubuntu

Try running this first before attempting to install WINE:

Code:
    sudo apt update

Beans

I’ve tried this many times.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Tell us all you can about your hardware and OS software by running terminal command
    inxi Fzx
    Then copy back here the output from that using code tags please.

There is a How-To for code tags in my signature below.

Beans
    Hidden!

if you're running from a live USB aka 'Try Ubuntu' you wont be able to install WINE as it will not be able to install as Ubuntu is not installed.
    you could try it if you had persistence enabled when creating the install USB but im unsure if that would work.

the try Ubuntu option is to ensure your hardware works and is compatible ..
    Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. (Douglas Adams)

Beans
    Distro

You can check the wine application database to see if other people had success using your applications on Wine and read about any tuning they needed.

Using native Linux applications is usually better than using Wine and for most applications a good Linux alternative exists. The exception are games. Some Linux games are available, but most games are Windows only. They may work on Wine.

Beans
    Distro

There is also the possibility of running your Windows apps in a Windows virtual machine, or a dual boot system. If Windows games are the main goal you likely will need to be running on your hardware. I have never tried Wine. I looked in to it once for my Fritz & Chessbase programs but they were not going to work on Wine in my case, so I promoted an old laptop to run windows and do that job. Dual boot would have also worked. Lots of ways to approach it depending on your needs & what you have access to.

Beans

I'd agree with the post above suggesting you check the wine database for windows applications. You can install software using a 'live' Ubuntu but you do understand that if you reboot, any changes made will be lost. I've used 'live' systems and installed software and used it but it is gone on reboot unless you have persistence. I don't know about wine as I"ve never used it.

Beans

I ended up installing ubuntu on a VM for my testing. I got wine to install but it crashes when I try to run any programs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It might be helpful for others who would like to assist you if you would describe in detail the behavior you nebulously call "crashing". Also, please describe the virtualization method you are using.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast